Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > People that won't drink your beer...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2011, 01:40 AM   #1
Brew_4iT
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default People that won't drink your beer...

Kind of a rant.. I've been brewing beer for awhile now (not nearly as long as some people) and put a lot of time and effort into each of my batches. But immediately without even trying a sip most people are turned off like some drunken ugly chick on prom night hitting on them, some people might try it.. but they already have that preconceived notion that it's sub par to mainstream beer. I hate that feeling when people look at my beer as though it is a foreign substance of unknown origin because it's not commercial and having a flashy label covering most of the product.

It really seems this day in age most people respond to cosmetics over aesthetics and craftsmanship.

I brewed "Cream O' 3 grains" for my dad and my girlfriends mom that are bmc drinkers. They didn't want nothing' of it..

I brewed a great pumpkin ale using 4 different types of squash and because of a little sediment in it even though it is translucent and nearly transparent (which is tough for a pumpkin ale I used a whirfloc tablet irish moss and cold crashed for awhile).... still because of a little sediment my friends wife wont touch it.

All of this makes me want to focus most my attention of presentation than overall quality; filtration, filtration, whirlfloc, irish moss, gelatin, filtration, and screw the ingredients. I'll just make an IPA with 42 ibu's like Harpoon instead of my 88 IBU IPA with cascade and citra dryhopped.

Just to note I do like Harpoon IPA's but highly conservative on the IBU end of an IPA.

"Good people drink good beer" -- Hunter S. Thompson

“The original American patriots were those individuals brave enough to resist with force the oppressive power of King George...Patriotism is more closely linked to dissent than it is to conformity and a blind desire for safety and security.”
― Ron Paul

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2011, 01:48 AM   #2
jeepinjeepin
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1043 Times on 1022 Posts
Likes Given: 35

More beer for you.

Walmart is about the only reason for open or concealed carry that I can get behind. -Randar

Old 10-06-2011, 01:49 AM   #3
beergolf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 371 Times on 302 Posts
Likes Given: 117

Brew for yourself. If it is good beer and others do not like it because they like a different style, then let them enjoy what they like and you enjoy your brew.

You can't force your brews on others.

Old 10-06-2011, 01:52 AM   #4
BigB
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 41

My friends and I all experienced that. But we just shrugged it off as people being people... its not that they're turned off by it necessarily, it just intimidates them a bit. Afterall, for all of their life, all most of them knew was BMC. I get how a slightly hazy beer with aroma and lots of flavor and more alcohol would freak em out a bit. So one year we decided to throw an Oktoberfest party. My buddy made a Kolsch and Hefeweizen. I made a Dusseldorf Alt and a Dunkelweizen, and another friend made a Bavarian slanted Hefe and a simple Northern Alt. We had light to dark, banana to bitter. We also made traditional German food. We had a moderate turnout and of course we had all of the preconceptions... but they had no other beers, so they tried a Kolsch or a Hefe. Then they moved up and got ballsy and tried a Dunkel. They then tried the Alts. There was a few comments about how different it was and how much they like their BMC. But guess what? Next year, EVERYONE of those people were back. They even brought friends. They now rave about our beers and have even asked that we have a winterfest... they demand our beer. Sure it was weird for them at first... but my theory is that after they left our first party and got home, they went to the fridge for a nightcap and grabbed the only beer in their fridges... BMC. They then realized, "Hey, that homebrew was pretty damn good." So to make a long story longer, throw a party, have a couple different styles, and ban BMC. They will come around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxBrew
It's now degenerating into nu uh and uh huhs and it no longer serves a point.

Old 10-06-2011, 01:53 AM   #5
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4450 Times on 3239 Posts
Likes Given: 866

Ha- my dad came for a visit last summer. He got out of the car with my brother, after a 14 hour drive, in 90 degree heat and I met him at the car with a cold class of cream ale that I poured from the tap. He said, "This isn't any of that homebrew **** is it?" I told him to shut up and drink it, and he said "Ah, this is more like it! Genny cream ale, right?"

I told him no, that it WAS homebrew. He said, "Well, it's almost as good as MGD!" He and my brother kicked that keg the next day, but didn't touch any other beers.

He rarely comes for a visit, but when he does I try to have a keg of cream ale on tap for him, or a light American lager. But since my preferences are IPAs and APAs, for the most part I buy him some MGD and let us both be happy.

My advice is to brew what you like, and don't try to brew to people who don't want to like your beer. It's not worth the effort!

skippyf16 Likes This 
Old 10-06-2011, 02:00 AM   #6
beaksnbeer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 490 Times on 326 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Make and drink the beer you like some people won't try anything short of a gun to the head. That being said let them bring their own don't cater to others whims.

Old 10-06-2011, 02:01 AM   #7
Kylito87
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I say more beer for you.

Don't get me wrong I haven't brewed but 5 batches but it seems most of my friends are always excited to try my beer but that is probably because most of my friends are Craft beer nuts (the ones that drink).

I even converted my dad to craft beer. It wasn't easy but put him on a crash course of the training wheel beers now he is a Hop stoopid / Dirty Bastard drinker like me. Now were building a kegerator for him for when he starts brewing.

Most people are so jaded by gimmicks like vortex bottles, flavor protection can tops, wide mouths, Blue moutains.

They think these things mean quality. They just follow the crowd.

We are the few that aren't content with fizzy yellow liquid that multi million dollar advertising claims is beer, That 10%

I say don't brew to make others happy brew for your enjoyment . It is your beer if they don't like it they can drink swill. Don't get me I drink PBR, Old Style, Highlife and Regular Bud. I just prefer The good stuff.

People think cloudy beer is bad beer. They are used to over filter crystal clear pasturized product . The most I do is use irish moss thats it.

My Rant is now over . Enjoy you brewing Cheers Mate!

Old 10-06-2011, 02:02 AM   #8
Brew_4iT
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by beergolf View Post
Brew for yourself. If it is good beer and others do not like it because they like a different style, then let them enjoy what they like and you enjoy your brew.

You can't force your brews on others.
They don't even give it a chance though.. that's what bugs me the most. And maybe some stems from jealousy I don't know?.

My conceptualization of this phenomenon has to do with people who drink to not think, relax, zone out.. and possibly connect to the world as they know it. Even if it a product in a bottle closer to fast food than a thanksgiving meal, drinking a near universal substance associated with nationality and unity is far more refreshing than the actual product itself???

Which isn't bad... I'm all for unification but gods sakes man what about the product itself?

“The original American patriots were those individuals brave enough to resist with force the oppressive power of King George...Patriotism is more closely linked to dissent than it is to conformity and a blind desire for safety and security.”
― Ron Paul

Old 10-06-2011, 02:05 AM   #9
BrewKnurd
Formerly discnjh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 238 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 112

I can see why that would be frustrating. I fortunately have not encountered that problem... but I agree with the comment that it just means more for you! At some point, maybe some of them will get curious enough to give it a try?

Have you tried inviting them to assist with a brew? Maybe that would make them more inclined to give it a try. Of course, maybe not.

Fake it til you make it.

Old 10-06-2011, 02:10 AM   #10
Brew_4iT
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

BigB & Yooper those are both refreshing stories. I actually feel a lot better now.

The worst feeling for me though is to have a great beer off hand and having no one immediately around sharing in the gratification. Leaves me feeling psychotic or something, holding a dead skunk by the tail and telling people how great the smell is.

...For stoners they might understand as well.

― Ron Paul

Quick Reply