The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Pellet hops made my beer green

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2009, 10:06 PM   #1
DHill
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Pellet hops made my beer green

Now, before I get into detail, I have four firsts on this brew:

1. first time I've done primary fermentation in the glass carboy (I've brewed for 4 years using the same 5 gallon bucket with spigot from my homebrew starter kit)
2. first time I've used pellet hops.
3. first time I've used the Briess Pilsen DME as part of my recipe
4. First time I've used a brewers yeast other than Munton's

Brewed last night with a whatever-the-beer-says-it-should-have recipe and I used pellet hops because that's all my local shop had in stock. Usually I use whole leaves.

I usually use my glass carboy as a 2nd fermenter but I decided to oust the plastic 5 gal bucket altogether, so I poured this new batch via filtered funnel right into my carboy.

This will also be my first keg brew so I'm using all glass in an effort to make it nice, clean, and less cloudy.

Despite my best efforts to filter and clean out all 3 oz. of hops from the brew, my beer is awfully green. It's bubbling behind me and appears to be happily fermenting but holy cow it looks cloudy green. Is it always like that? It occurred to me that perhaps since I've always done my primary brew in a bucket, I don't see how cloudy it is until everything settles and I transfer the best of it out.

The color is hard to describe... kind of a cloudy milky green. My last batch with a similar recipe (but I used Muntons extra light spraymalt instead of Briess Pilsen) was a crisp gold with the usual cloudiness.

Thanks all.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2009, 10:17 PM   #2
MaynardX
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 5

No worries. It will settle out after fermentation finishes.

Bottle: Rochfort 10 Clone, Bourbon Oak Pumpkin Ale
Keg: Kolsh, Marzen, Saison, Belgian Strong Ale, Brewskie the Elder,Pomegranate Apfelwien, Rye Dortmunder Export, English Bitter

Old 09-28-2009, 11:13 PM   #3
shortyjacobs
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 3

You broke it!

Send it to me for disposal.

or..........what he said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaynardX View Post
No worries. It will settle out after fermentation finishes.

Old 09-29-2009, 12:56 AM   #4
ChrisKennedy
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

I brewed a lambic with some 8 year old pellet hops that looked bright green, and they also made the beer a rather sickly looking green. It will definitely settle out.

Old 09-29-2009, 01:04 AM   #5
Grinder12000
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I brewed with Haulertau hops this weekend - GREEN!!! It'll settle out. no worries.

Grinders Island Brewery - Pipeline

Bottled! Award winning East India Porter, Oatmeal Stout, Milk Stout, Saison fermenting at 85 degrees as I type.

Quick Reply