Pbr, Oly or Rain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Totes

Reaction score
Which do you reach for?

IMG_3978.jpg

Olympia and Ranier, because I've never even heard of them, and I know how bad PBR is already.
I have had Oly, Rainier and PBR (although it was ~40 yrs ago for Oly & Rainier), and I'll take the PBR if I have to. Rainier did have a lower tier offering called Brew 66, which I would have to rate as the worst commercial offering I ever had, but it was the only beer offered at the best pizza place in the Seattle "U" district.

Brow on :mug:

Its not better, trust me! I grew up in Tacoma, WA. Oly and Rainer are just as bad.

Me too! (Well, Puyallup and Federal Way).

I have had Oly, Rainier and PBR (although it was ~40 yrs ago for Oly & Rainier), and I'll take the PBR if I have to. Rainier did have a lower tier offering called Brew 66, which I would have to rate as the worst commercial offering I ever had, but it was the only beer offered at the best pizza place in the Seattle "U" district.

I don't remember Brew 66 but a lower tier of Rainier is....scary.

Where was the best pizza in U district? When I went to UW, I gotta say it was Northlake Tavern. I think their beer selection is decent now.

that is what I was thinking! can you imagine if PBR made a poor man beer that was less quality?

its not in the U-district, but pizza pagliacci was well worth the trip into queen anne.

Have you guys no nostalgia? Rainier and Oly were west coast beers so I didn't drink them often back in the day. My dad was a dyed-in-the-wool PBR drinker for decades. I'd drink any one of them for old time's sake. Same goes for Strohs, Genesee, Schaefer, Rolling Rock, Mickey's, etc., etc. Not great beers even at their peak, for sure, and nowadays nothing more than a brand being bought and sold up and down the line. Still, at least they weren't a Bud Light Chelada.

I don't remember Brew 66 but a lower tier of Rainier is....scary.

Where was the best pizza in U district? When I went to UW, I gotta say it was Northlake Tavern. I think their beer selection is decent now.

Yep, Northlake it was. Baddest a$$ed combo ever.

Brew on :mug:

I drink a fair amount of PBR. It's not great but in my opinion it's one of the better crappy beers. I usually get it when funds are tight and/or I'm just being cheap. I can get a 6 pack of 16oz cans for $5 from the nearby gas station.

I'd take the PBR. Although I had Olympia a long, long time ago and I don't remember it being that bad. I was probably a kid, so take that for what it's worth.

The worst beer I remember was the generic stuff they sold in grocery stores back in the 70s and early 80s.

It came in yellow or white cans and was sold in the generic food aisle along with generic cans of vegetables, pasta, breakfast cereal, etc... The can just said beer. There was no marking indicating who made it. I always assumed it was made by Genesee or Matts here in NY.

It was like $.99 for a 6-pack. If you were really broke and in college you'd buy this out of total desperation. Other than college students, the only people I ever saw buy it were really old guys wearing hats. :D

beer.jpg

ybeer.jpg

I grew up in Puyallup also, so Rainier and Oly would be considered my nostalgia beers. Can't say I've had one in about 30 years though.

I'm surprised that Olympia still uses the slogan "It's the water..." when it's not even brewed in Tumwater any longer.

I'm glad there a few guys out there not hating on the tall cans! lol. I think all 3 are decent choices for adjunct lagers.
I feel many craft beer enthusiasts are to tough on adjunct lagers. When I caught the lager bug, and started homebrewing non ales, I found a whole new appreciation for these beers. For me they are challenging to replicate.

They have there place. Good for beer backs, they do not compete with my bourbon palate. Great to drink while working, or when I want to quince thirst and drink a beer quickly.

Dont' we forget, the amazing brewmaster Larry Sidor was at OLY for 25 years before deschutes.

Cheers

One year, back in my college days, I went to Seattle for spring break to visit my cousins. My last night there, my cousin and I put down a s$&@-ton of Rainier while watching the Sonics game and shooting the breeze in his garage. I flew back to school the next day with the worst hangover I've ever experienced (and that's saying something). To this day, the mere sight of Rainier makes me want to hurl. No similar experiences with Oly, but the one or two times I've had it weren't entirely enjoyable.

I'll take a PBR. It was our go-to cheap beer in college...$10 a 30 pack. And it never ravaged me like Rainier did that night.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

PBR, then Rainier, have never tried Oly. When I need to buy a cheap case of beer to share while hunting or sport logging, I'll usually pick up PBR or Kootenay. It ain't great, but I can drink a couple.

PBR, Oly, but the Rainier caused a terrible hangover for me in the early 60's when I was a teenager (yes I'm old) and I can barely stand to look at the can :eek:
I don't buy tall boys, and associate them being drunk with the paper bag around them. Not hatin, just not my style.
My session beers are Milwaukee's Best, and PBR, they are like beer flavored water with a touch of alcohol added (disinfectant).
I save my homebrews, and craft brews for the special times, and get togethers with friends and family:mug:

I hate to say this after seeing the comments but I would have to choose PBR. Just for the fact I actually enjoy an ice cold PBR sometimes matter of fact I have a 12 pack in my fridge.

I misspoke about the Raineer. I take back the kind words I said about the rain, It is truly a sub par beer choice. I will not be buying Raineer ever again.
But.................I whole heartedly endorse Oly! It's just as great as PBR, without the hipster stigma.

I never got my hipster card, I guess I'm not vintage enough to ever waste a dime on any of these brews. However one time in my poor college days I found $10 on the ground at a bar and that was enough to buy two pitchers of PBR hangover. It was a good night regardless of the bad beer and crappy next morning.

I used to love the Rainier commercials in the 80's. Haven't had one since the 90's. I intend to keep it that way.

I grew up just outside of Olympia. We always reached for vitamin R. It was fairly cheap and did the job.

They still make Oly? It was a big thing back in the late 70's. They were kind of like Coors. Limited distribution and then they made a big push east. Then they sold to G. Heilemann and that was it.

It must have been the Artesians.

They keep resurrecting oly and rainier it seems. Probably hoping PBR gets too popular for hipsters and they change their vintage beer of choice.

PBR is a decent beer no matter who might drink it. Not much history with the others but I enjoy PBR on a pretty regular basis. Even before it became popular again.
-- not a hipster (hippie maybe)

They are all on YouTube now.

Nice! Thank You.
I had to watch some Hamm's commercials too!

I've done the 'rayyyy neearrrrrr beeeer' thing before, people just look at me like I'm crazy....
I loved those beer ads as a child:confused:

that is what I was thinking! can you imagine if PBR made a poor man beer that was less quality?

Ohhh...you are not old enough to remember...Red White and Blue beer. PBR was definitely a "premium" beer by comparison. I do have fond memories of RWB from the late 1970s, though. I used to have it on poker night. Without fail, by the 4th RWB, the awful sulfurous beer farts would begin.

Oly is, ok. Was the best outta the three. When brewed in oly. PBR was also brewed by oly or visa versa. Dad worked there 27 years...

Clint eastwood thought Oly was pretty damn good. Along with parnelli jones

Good or bad, Oly explains that "It's the Water" on the label! :D Of those 3 I'd reach for PBR and ship a copy of Palmer and Kaminski's "Water" book to the Oly brewery.

The Raineir. It would take fewer of them to become oblivious to the nasty memories they all brought back.

Back