Pawn Shops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmurph6

Reaction score
Anyone ever find any good brewing stuff at pawn shops? Co2 bottles, regulators etc.? Just curious.

Saw a couple of cornies once but the guy wanted $50 a piece. Went down to $40 but wouldn't move further. Kept saying they were stainless like that made them incredibly valuable.

Most of the stuff (if not all) you find at pawn shops, has been stolen. Let's be honest....Same as the cash for gold places. It's a front. Sorry for the rant...but as a person that's had their home broken into, and made the rounds of the pawn shops looking for my stuff. It's amazing how when you tell the owner you are there to see if you stolen stuff is there....the place clears out. No chit...every one of the places I went, every other customer left immediately.....

Most of the stuff (if not all) you find at pawn shops, has been stolen. Let's be honest....Same as the cash for gold places. It's a front. Sorry for the rant...but as a person that's had their home broken into, and made the rounds of the pawn shops looking for my stuff. It's amazing how when you tell the owner you are there to see if you stolen stuff is there....the place clears out. No chit...every one of the places I went, every other customer left immediately.....

You mean to tell me that non-criminals are not selling a Rolex, some diamond earrings, and a gun for 100 bucks?

While I don't agree with the prices offered by many pawn shops for high end good like watches and diamonds there are many that operate without dealing in stolen goods. The better ones don't want the hassle of cops coming in and reclaiming goods since they would lose what they paid(some states). If you're a very knowledgeable buyer they can be a decent place to score a good deal. Remember some of the items for sale were once pawned there and never picked up so they go up for sale. I wouldn't think thieves made a habit of pawning.

That being said I wouldn't trust a pawn broker and would want to burn any place down that I found my own stolen good in.

There's only one pawn shop I frequent, and the closest I've come to seeing brewing stuff is a kegerator. I did also once see a bar setup sort of thing (that if I knew then what I know now I'd have snatched up in a heart beat). It was 3/4 of a wooden barrel, with space for a full keg plus smaller kegs, two bar guns (5 or 6 options each) for $60. I was very upset when I learned what all of it was, and then found out they sold it.

haven't been to a pawn shop in a very long time. last time I was in one tho it seemed to be mostly jewelery, stereo equip, guns, some power tools...

A local pawn shop is one of my favorite gun purchasing sites, but I don't recall ever seeing any brewing equipment there. I've seen some on Craig's List from time to time.

Back