Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Palate Training

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2012, 01:20 AM   #11
Buna_Bere
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 3

There's some interesting stuff on the Beer Sensory Science blog website,

http://beersensoryscience.wordpress....08/08/myrcene/

American Hombrewers Association website sells flavoring kits of common beer flavors

http://members.brewersassociation.or...il.aspx?id=250

Here's a link to the FlavorActiv website, the flavor samples are pretty expensive

http://www.flavoractiv.com/order/public/

From the brewing side, I don't think you can go wrong with brewing up some single hop batches. Just find a nice base beer that you like, because you're going to be brewing it over and over, and over and over.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2012, 12:19 PM   #12
NuclearRich
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 82 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyWestBrewing View Post
There's a lot of good advice here to get you going on the right track. Remember to try to break down the layers of flavors your getting, many are subtle and are secondary to the more dominant flavors on the palate. Like the floral and citrusy flavors in habeneros. Don't drink your beer too fast, as it warms up the flavors of the malts open up more. And one thing that's tricky I've noticed in beer...certain ingredients contribute flavors that don't taste the same as they do alone or not in beer. Like maple syrup.
+1 to the flavors changing as the beer warms.
Its even more useful to have another person tasting with you. I have my gf split a beer and we each go step by step. Then after the first taste we talk about it, and reflect on our differences and try to see if we can detect what the other person is detecting. Then taste more. It ends up taking a lot of time and the beer warms and changes. A nice after dinner exercise.

Kegged - Amber (homegrown hops)
Bottled - 30th birthday barleywine, caramel gingerbread quad, doppelbock dunkel, Mulberry wit, Caramel Quad/RUMCAKE, porter, Blueberry Blonde, Amber, Single Hop Pale Ale (exp 4190), A Conan Selfie
Primary - Lambic!, IPA

Cogito Ergo Doleo

"rdwhahb"

Quote:
Originally Posted by somedudefromguam View Post
I thought that meant people were getting frustrated with their brews. Like- OH NO my beer is infected RHWAHAHRBLABLE!!!! OR- My beer pours all foamy RDWHAHBLARABBLE

Old 09-21-2012, 01:54 PM   #13
rs3902
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Thanks for the advice everyone!
I'm definitely going to try smash brewing and different yeasts!

Quick Reply