Pain in upper back from sugary booze

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StophJS

Reaction score
Frequently when I drink any kind of really sugary alcoholic drink like a mike's hard lemonade or my homebrew cider, I get these weird painful cramps around my shoulder blades. Has anyone else experienced this or am I just a weirdo? Does anyone know what might cause this?

The weirdo thing was actually more rhetorical, because I'm not sure entirely how common it is. I do know, however, that I've had a hand full of people I know report the same thing and that you can find plenty of people online talking about having the same experience. The only thing that varies is the exact location of the cramps. Some people report getting it in their knees or other joints. I thought by posting here, someone might have an idea of what causes this.

My post was intended to be a joke. I hope you aren't taking it the wrong way. I know how words can "sound" different from person-to-person when reading them.

I have no idea on what you are describing, and have never heard of it. I'd say if it bothers you, then stop drinking it, I guess :)

Well actually, whenever I drink certain sweet things I get some pretty intense pains in my jaw/lower gums. Not sure what it is, but a quick rinse with water usually cures it. I think my issue has something to do with acids.

I would say dehydration. This is why you find many people with similar symptoms in different parts of the body. For me I get what is basically a cramp in my upper neck.

The solution... quick drinking so much swill!:tank:

Every once in a while, I have a wine cooler. A couple of years ago, I took a sip of a wine cooler and I thought I was having a heart attack. The pain was intense. It happened again several months later.
I think it had something to do with the carbonation level and the fact that I have a hiatal hernia. My doctor seemed to agree.
I don't drink wine coolers any more. Damn, that hurt.

I would say dehydration. This is why you find many people with similar symptoms in different parts of the body. For me I get what is basically a cramp in my upper neck.

The solution... quick drinking so much swill!:tank:

Dehydration seems like a good theory. Similar to what beninan was saying though, I had always figured it had something to do with the acidity of the drink. Who knows, I'm not a doctor. :confused:

Latest posts

Back