Pabst Blue Ribbon blended 33 to 1?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cojones893

Reaction score
I was looking at old photos from the depression and I saw this sign in Chicago in 1943.

color052.sJPG_950_2000_0_75_0_50_50.sJPG

What is the deal with the 33 to 1?

No clue but that is a GREAT shot. Very clear and the colors look fantastic. It would be a great enlarged as a 5'x3' back drop behind a bar.

A little more digging turned this up:

pabst33.jpg

33 Fine Brews Blended to Make ONE Great Beer...

This might be related to what I learned in a trivia contest last night. The original name of PBR was "Best Select", so it sounds like they took a bunch of their best beer, blended it together, and made this beer out of it.

Cool sign, but I wonder how they manage to get so little flavor out of 33 tries...

Someone I spoke with said that Yuengling (I think) does the same thing. Probably they all do. Lots of batches mixed together so there is very little variance in the end. Beer averaging.

You wouldn't want one tasty batch ruining the final product.

hah walker, my parents have a handful of those trays (we used them for crawfish all throughout the the 80's), they have the PBR along with some others like MGD and budweiser.

Someone I spoke with said that Yuengling (I think) does the same thing. Probably they all do. Lots of batches mixed together so there is very little variance in the end. Beer averaging.

You wouldn't want one tasty batch ruining the final product.

Very common practice in lots of areas, wineries do this, whiskey distilleries do this as well as other distillers. A single malt scotch comes from one distillery but is very likely blended with other barrels in order to have a consistent product shipped out.

Legend has it that the "33" on the old Old Latrobe bottles was a reference to the year prohibition was repealed. (is it this to which you are referring?)

Um, are you actually asking me to explain my simple attempt at humor?!?! I hope so, because NOTHING is funnier than an explanation of a joke! :p

BTW, I have heard several different explanations about the 33 on the bottles.

:mug:

Sounds like pbr got a great deal on a MASSIVE brite tank, and had to wait for it to get full.

Latest posts

Back