Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Oxygen & Water... Chemistry?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2007, 09:46 PM   #1
Chris_Dog
Orange whip?
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Oxygen & Water... Chemistry?

I am having a hard time wrapping my mind around the concept that water has more or less oxygen. Let me preface that I have never had Chemistry even in high school. I am sure this is pretty basic stuff.

I understand that water is made of 2 parts oxygen and 1 part hydrogen. (or is it the other way around?). Along with assorted chemicals and minerals that makes tap water. Is it that within the solution that is water there is free oxygen. Similar to the way air has more or less oxygen. You would think I would get this having aquariums for years.

Is it that once the oxygen has bonded with hydrogen to make water it is no longer oxygen but H2O.

Man I am really confused and now my brain hurts. I need a drink

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2007, 09:53 PM   #2
Orfy
For the love of beer!

Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 30

The bonded oxygen does not change.

Henry’s Law and Dissolved Oxygen in Water

Henry’s Law states that “the partial pressure of a gas in a liquid is equal to the partial pressure of the gas in the vapor above the liquid.” Oxygen will dissolve in water so that the level of dissolved oxygen of water will be in equilibrium with the atmosphere, which is approximately 20.9%. Dissolved oxygen levels in the water will vary according to temperature fluctuations, changes in barometric pressure, and salt content.

Some info here
http://www.vcnet.com/koi_net/do.html

and here
http://www.glaucus.org.uk/Oxygen-1.htm

Old 12-11-2007, 09:54 PM   #3
Jayfro21
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Dog
I am having a hard time wrapping my mind around the concept that water has more or less oxygen. Let me preface that I have never had Chemistry even in high school. I am sure this is pretty basic stuff.

I understand that water is made of 2 parts oxygen and 1 part hydrogen. (or is it the other way around?). Along with assorted chemicals and minerals that makes tap water. Is it that within the solution that is water there is free oxygen. Similar to the way air has more or less oxygen. You would think I would get this having aquariums for years.

Is it that once the oxygen has bonded with hydrogen to make water it is no longer oxygen but H2O.

Man I am really confused and now my brain hurts. I need a drink
Water has 2 Hydrogens and one oxygen, bonded together. Water has dissolved oxygen gas in it, which is two oxygen atoms bonded together. The minerals exist in the water solution and interact with the water molecules, hence you have hard water (with lots of minerals, not sure which ones in particular) and soft water (which has relatively fewer minerals). The minerals contribue to the pH of the water, which is basically the amount of hydrogen ions that you have in the solution. Almost every living thing needs oxygen, besides some bacteria and other small organisms, and this is obtained either from the air or water. The air is actually mainly nitrogen, because a very high oxygen percentage is actually quite toxic. As you aerate, you agitate teh water molecules, which allows for more oxygen gas to be dissolved into the liquid. This is the same concept with carbonation, as CO2 is also a gas that needs to dissolve into your solution (i.e beer). There are certain conditions that help a gas dissolve into a solution, and I am not sure what these conditions are for oxygen gas, but I do know for CO2 it is decreased temperature, increased CO2 pressure, etc. Hope this helps

Jason

Primary 1: ESB
Primary 2: Empty
Secondary 1: Empty
Secondary 2: Empty
Secondary 3: Empty
Bottled: Nothing!
Up next: Common ESB, porter, probably some Belgian

Old 12-11-2007, 10:23 PM   #4
Chris_Dog
Orange whip?

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=Bah Humbug]The bonded oxygen does not change.

Henry’s Law and Dissolved Oxygen in Water

Henry’s Law states that “the partial pressure of a gas in a liquid is equal to the partial pressure of the gas in the vapor above the liquid.” Oxygen will dissolve in water so that the level of dissolved oxygen of water will be in equilibrium with the atmosphere, which is approximately 20.9%. Dissolved oxygen levels in the water will vary according to temperature fluctuations, changes in barometric pressure, and salt content.

Thank you guys first off!!!
Orfy your links made me go cross eyed. Again I didn't even take high school chemistry. I am pretty sure the Makers Mark I a drinking won't help much.

According to the law above water will assume the oxygen level of its environment. In a keg it is Co2. The links and what you guys posted sort of confirms what I was thinking. In the water itself there may be any number of elements floating around. With regards to oxygen 1 of the things that influence it are of course the temperature. IE. Boiling water expels free oxygen. Once oxygen becomes H2O it is no longer oxygen but water.

Am I pretty close?

Old 12-11-2007, 10:26 PM   #5
Orfy
For the love of beer!

Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Yup.

Water will try to equalise it's (free) O2 content with that of the atmosphere dependant on pressure temperature, salinity and a few other things.

Old 12-11-2007, 10:27 PM   #6
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 905 Times on 602 Posts
Likes Given: 26

In layman's terms, the oxygen in H2O is trapped in a molecular bond which is different o2 being present in between.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Last edited by Bobby_M; 12-12-2007 at 01:40 AM.

Old 12-11-2007, 10:38 PM   #7
chione
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

basically hot water doesn't hold oxygen and cold water does.

Old 12-11-2007, 10:43 PM   #8
Chris_Dog
Orange whip?

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

In WAY layman terms... You might have a bucket of balls at the driving range. There is no way another golf ball will fit in it. It will hold a bunch of marbles however or several pounds of sand.
OK that has to do with time management but it sort of applies sort of.

Back to lurking !

Old 12-11-2007, 11:41 PM   #9
HenryHill

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

The oxygen in oxygenated water is dissolved in solution. Same as CO2 in beer.

It's a mixture, not a compound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrregularPulse View Post
This is HBT of course. Normal Thread that goes every direction but the one intended. This forum should be scientific proof the beer causes ADD

Quick Reply