Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Oxygen stone size

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2011, 09:21 PM   #11
Hermit
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 67 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Anyone know the pressure that should be used on a .5 micron stone? I was able to get a medical oxygen tank and regulator and was wondering about pressure and time. May as well bump an old thread instead of starting new. I'll keep searching though.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2011, 10:36 PM   #12
thegerm
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I've been hearing that the appropriate way to sanitize these stones, regardless of pitch, is to heat sanitize them. apparently contaminants can get inside the pores of the stone that a liquid sanitizer may not reach, and then they might get blown into your beer when oxygenating. so boiling them for 10 minutes or so is the recommendation I've been hearing.

also, I don't know whether 2u or .5u is important, but .5 is definitely the common consensus when it comes to using O2. I've seen/heard some commentary about how most dissolution of oxygen happens at the surface, regardless of how and where you pump in your oxygen. this makes me wonder why we'd need a stone at all... why not just stick a hose in there and pump giant-ass bubbles of O2 or hepa-filtered air?

I dunno... makes me wonder.

Old 10-30-2011, 01:04 AM   #13
rico567
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I got the kit from William's Brewing, and I'm sure you can order just the stone since you already have the tank & regulator. The great thing about William's rig is that it's a SS stone on the end of a 2 foot SS wand. All I do is stick it in the boil with the chiller and it's automatically sanitized. When chilling's done, I put the stone in the bucket, pour in the wort, hook up the O2 and oxygenate it. I then pull out the wand / stone, and submerge it into a bucket of the chilling water to rinse it off; give it a spritz of oxygen, and that cleans anything out of the stone. Good to go until next time.

“Malt does more than Milton can / To justify God’s ways to man”

-A. E. Housman (1859–1936). A Shropshire Lad , 1896.

Old 10-30-2011, 01:35 AM   #14
scoundrel
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rico567 View Post
I got the kit from William's Brewing, and I'm sure you can order just the stone since you already have the tank & regulator. The great thing about William's rig is that it's a SS stone on the end of a 2 foot SS wand. All I do is stick it in the boil with the chiller and it's automatically sanitized. When chilling's done, I put the stone in the bucket, pour in the wort, hook up the O2 and oxygenate it. I then pull out the wand / stone, and submerge it into a bucket of the chilling water to rinse it off; give it a spritz of oxygen, and that cleans anything out of the stone. Good to go until next time.
Man I love that kit. In my top 5 of beer equipment purchases.

Starter??? I don't even know her!

Old 11-28-2011, 11:46 PM   #15
billtzk
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rico567 View Post

The stone on a stick that Williams sells is a 2 micron stone, in case anyone wonders. Read the description here. The same description appears in the full o2 kit with the regulator, hose, and stone/stick.

I lot of people use that system from Williams without any issue, so I'm guessing it doesn't much matter whether you use a .5 or 2 micron stone.

Reality is a crutch for people who can't cope with drugs. -Lily Tomlin

Quick Reply