Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Oxygen stone size

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2008, 05:32 PM   #1
Moonshae
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts

Default Oxygen stone size

I have been thinking about using pure oxygen to aerate my cooled wort prior to pitching. I have a tank and regulator already, which is the only reason I'm considering it right now...all I need is a stone. Will an aquarium stone work, or do I need one of the real fine, 0.5 micron stones?

"You never can tell with bees." --Winnie the Pooh

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2008, 05:37 PM   #2
Fingers
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts

I use an aquarium stone. There are cleaning issues associated with it, but I soak in Iodophor before and after use and haven't noticed any problems after about ten batches. I bought a three pack for a few bucks so when one starts to look a little rough, I'll pitch it and put on another.

Old 03-19-2008, 05:40 PM   #3
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 204 Times on 113 Posts

for pure oxygen, you are supposed to use the 0.5 micron stone. for an aquarium pump, you're supposed to use the 2 micron stone.

will it work, tho? i suppose it would work just fine.

"Death is always with us." - Brewpastor

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

Old 03-19-2008, 06:17 PM   #4
Moonshae
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts

I was thinking about storing the stone in some cheap vodka in a sealed container to keep contamination issues minimized. I'd imagine that the oxygen stone provides a more efficient use of the oxygen...smaller bubbles, greater surface area, more oxygen dissolving into solution...but as long as the aquarium stone will work, I'll upgrade later.

Old 03-19-2008, 07:39 PM   #5
Fingers
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonshae
I'd imagine that the oxygen stone provides a more efficient use of the oxygen...smaller bubbles, greater surface area, more oxygen dissolving into solution...but as long as the aquarium stone will work, I'll upgrade later.
Wouldn't that be true of plain air too? I would expect that the smaller micron holes would be more susceptible to getting plugged up in either case. I can't think of a reason to treat air and oxygen any differently. I suppose if oxygen were in short supply you might go to extremes to use as little as possible, but it's not THAT much money.

Old 03-19-2008, 08:21 PM   #6
Moonshae
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingers
Wouldn't that be true of plain air too? I would expect that the smaller micron holes would be more susceptible to getting plugged up in either case. I can't think of a reason to treat air and oxygen any differently. I suppose if oxygen were in short supply you might go to extremes to use as little as possible, but it's not THAT much money.
Of course the same principle applies to air, but running the air longer to compensate doesn't cost anything extra. In the long run, getting the most efficiency will save money. I just wanted to make sure an aquarium stone would work initially, and I'll pick up an oxygen stone the next time I get to the LHBS.

Old 03-19-2008, 08:39 PM   #7
Funkenjaeger

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingers
I believe that part of the reason that 2 micron stones are used for air is that the 0.5 micron stone is likely to require more pressure to push gas through it, and a weak little aquarium pump may not be up to the task. With oxygen, you are always starting with a high pressure source and a regulator, so getting high enough pressure is no problem. With my 0.5 micron stone on O2, I notice that after shutting the gas off at the regulator, the flow of bubbles from the stone takes quite a while to stop, because the residual pressure in the hose takes that long to bleed off through the restrictive stone.

And as far as the oxygen use goes... well yeah, if you're using a big medical O2 tank which is comparatively cheap to fill, then the per-batch cost of oxygen hardly matters. But those little disposable hardware-store tanks are like 8 bucks, and I was under the impression they only last a couple dozen batches. Still not terribly expensive, but enough that I feel it's worth being conservative with it.

Last edited by Funkenjaeger; 03-19-2008 at 08:44 PM.

Old 03-19-2008, 09:06 PM   #8
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 204 Times on 113 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkenjaeger
I believe that part of the reason that 2 micron stones are used for air is that the 0.5 micron stone is likely to require more pressure to push gas through it, and a weak little aquarium pump may not be up to the task.
Yepperz

"Death is always with us." - Brewpastor

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

Old 03-19-2008, 09:15 PM   #9
Fingers
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkenjaeger
I believe that part of the reason that 2 micron stones are used for air is that the 0.5 micron stone is likely to require more pressure to push gas through it, and a weak little aquarium pump may not be up to the task. With oxygen, you are always starting with a high pressure source and a regulator, so getting high enough pressure is no problem. With my 0.5 micron stone on O2, I notice that after shutting the gas off at the regulator, the flow of bubbles from the stone takes quite a while to stop, because the residual pressure in the hose takes that long to bleed off through the restrictive stone.

And as far as the oxygen use goes... well yeah, if you're using a big medical O2 tank which is comparatively cheap to fill, then the per-batch cost of oxygen hardly matters. But those little disposable hardware-store tanks are like 8 bucks, and I was under the impression they only last a couple dozen batches. Still not terribly expensive, but enough that I feel it's worth being conservative with it.
Ah, now that makes sense. I hadn't thought about pressures and I have a 20lb oxy tank that I own so it's pretty cheap to use. I originally started borrowing it from my oxy-acetylene setup but now it looks more like the oxy-acetylene is borrowing it from the homebrew setup!

Old 03-19-2008, 09:51 PM   #10
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 945 Times on 631 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I used aquarium stones for a few batches before I bought the stainless one. Just wait until you need to order something and put the stainless on there. The aquarium ones fall apart after a while.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Quick Reply