Oxiclean on Stainless I DARE you to prove me wrong

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use oxy to clean everything as well and never had a problem at all. I use 1/3 a scoop to 5 gallons hot tap water and let things soak..scours everything off from my SS and inside my carboys etc

I'm just thinking about how big a tablespoon is. That scoop seems more like a half cup to me.
Okay part two... a "load" of oxy clean is about .9 oz., based on the packages "3 pounds = 53 loads., 5 pounds = 89 loads." Looks like I'll be checking out the scoop when I get home. ...and reading through some of these posts there are two sized scoops.

FWIW I use Oxi all the time. With my water it will leave a mineral residue unless I rinse it off fairly soon. My next step is to try adding a bit of acid to my water before mixing in the oxi, just to see if the acid will remove the mineral problem before it starts.

Previously I would soak my bottles/keg/fermentor in Oxi, then follow that with an acid soak and it was fine. I'd like to remove that second step.

I have not heard of ANY problems from using Oxi on SS. It's a no-no on aluminum though.

I read somewhere a while ago that the Oxyclean without the blue crystals is basically the same as PBW. I dunno. I leave PBW in my kegs for a long time with no issues. Haven't found OC without the blue.. :confused:

I read somewhere a while ago that the Oxyclean without the blue crystals is basically the same as PBW. I dunno. I leave PBW in my kegs for a long time with no issues. Haven't found OC without the blue.. :confused:

While looking for Oxi Clean, look for Oxi Clean Free. it does not have the additives.

We use Oxy or Arm and Hammer Super Wash Soda, whichever we have laying around. Oxy will foam when cleaning the RIMS system and the A&H doesn't. The A&H is the base ingrediant in Oxy but doesn't have the other ingrediants. Still works well without foaming. It does leave a slight film if left for a long time but wipes off real easy. Neither one hurts SS.

While looking for Oxi Clean, look for Oxi Clean Free. it does not have the additives.

Wally World - Sun Oxy is the same stuff.

• Multi day soaks with Oxy can leave scale (I have a glass carboy right now with Oxy scale to prove it). Supposedly PBW has an additive that prevents this.
  • Good news is Starsan will take the scale off if it should ever happen.
  • Bad news is beer is also acidic and will also take it off so you want to be sure there is no scale in your equipment from a long soak.

Wally World - Sun Oxy is the same stuff.

• Multi day soaks with Oxy can leave scale (I have a glass carboy right now with Oxy scale to prove it). Supposedly PBW has an additive that prevents this.

• Good news is Starsan will take the scale off if it should ever happen.

• Bad news is beer is also acidic and will also take it off so you want to be sure there is no scale in your equipment from a long soak.

x2 on this. I use it with no issues and it's less exspensive!

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

PBW has the same ingredients as OxyClean Free, but also has sodium metasilicate and a chelating agent (likely some version of or equivalent to EDTA). Sodium metasilicate acts to convert the deposits into "softer" forms that are easier to remove. The chelating agent acts to bind to the metals to keep them from precipitating in the first place.

TSP/90 (an environmentally friendly alternative to trisodium phosphate) is mostly sodium metasilicate. You can find it at your local hardware store, usually in the paint section; it's typically used to clean tile.

Mixing OxyClean Free (~70%) and TSP/90 (~30%) tends to work much better than OxyClean alone (in my experience). It's still lacking the chelating agent, but is significantly cheaper than PBW and doesn't leave deposits after a long soak.

As always I am open to debate and would like to see some well built "no your wrong" comments.

You misspelled "you're".

It's an ownership thing, like, "my bad." It's ok, but the lack of a comma is disconcerting! :p
:off: Sorry, but have a great day anyway!

It's an apostrophe.

Well technically, there was a missing comma after "As always" in the original. Pedants, unite!

Back on topic, dare accepted. The OP suggested that bleach will not remain potent and will not affect stainless steel. I put some bleach in a cornie keg and a few days later the end of the dip tube was dissolved, and there was a hold in the bottom of the cornie. Had to throw it away.

1687894876584.png

1687894885626.png

[...] and there was a hold in the bottom of the cornie.
You mean "hole?"
And "corny?"

Isn't is sacrilegious (at least in homebrew circles) to destroy a good corny keg to prove something that didn't need proving?

But, more importantly, isn't the dare about this (the title of the thread):

Oxiclean on Stainless I DARE you to prove me wrong​

There was no dare with bleach involved:
Bleach however is terrible for SS as the Chloride ions attach the oxide film allowing for corrosion.

So, why? Why?

;)

You mean "hole?"
And "corny?"

Isn't is sacrilegious (at least in homebrew circles) to destroy a good corny keg to prove something that didn't need proving?

But, more importantly, isn't the dare about this (the title of the thread):

So, why? Why?

;)
haha, thank you for that correction. A member here, @Beekeeper , informed me, but I'm reluctant to change a post once it's been read. I'm only human, like the rest of the Ms. Spellers above.

That's taking a dare to an extreme ainnit? :oops:
It was not actually for this guy's dare.
I chemically etched that hole through the cornie when I went NUCLEAR on a keg that had contained a sour beer that went south.
But the result still stands: put pure bleach in your cornie (corny, cornelius, whatevs) keg, let it sit for a while, then observe the destruction.

your quote with all the bolding, colors, and size, somehow missed the obvious bleach comments in the OP's post. I can't comment further, only you know.

... bleach loose their harmful properties after 24 hrs. If you dont believe me take some bleach and dilute it to 10% in tap water. Wait 24 hours and smell it and try using it on something with a pH indicator. It will not have anywhere near the affectivness as fresh dilute bleach. Some people have stated that they ruined a stainless steel bowl and the like with concentrated oxiclean which may have been an old formulation containing chlorine. It is also possible it was a cheap bowl and wasnt true high quality stainless steel like our expenisve used cornies

As always I am open to debate and would like to see some well built "no your wrong" comments.

Back