Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Overflowing beer science question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2010, 11:26 PM   #1
jjl04002
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Overflowing beer science question

I bottled an IPA a few weeks ago, and since i dry hopped 5 oz and didn't do a great job of getting the hops out, all my bottles had a layer of hops sitting on the bottom. Now every time I open a bottle, it opens OK but after a few seconds its starts to bubble and eventually i get a steadly flow of bubbles exiting at a steady rate and after the beer is a bit flat. Now I originally though I had an infection, but after staring at the bottle, the hop leaves are going crazy and I was reminded of an experiment I did as a kid when you put raisins in soda and they jump up and down. So I was thinking, similar to mentos and coke,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diet_Co...entos_eruption

the hops may cause nucleation sites for dissolved CO2 gas and is causing the hops to flatten the beer and make a mess.
Anyone have thoughts on this?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2010, 11:30 PM   #2
gmtech825
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

are you sure its hops and not yeast on the bottom?

make sure the bottles are good and cold before you try and open them.

I blame the media blamers

Old 05-01-2010, 11:51 PM   #3
jjl04002
Recipes 

I know some of it is hops, and some is yeast. As I said, I dry hopped 5 oz of hops and I bottled a bunch of it because i couldn't get it out. In fact i only got 36 12ozs out of a 5 gallon batch because of the hops.

Also the beer is around 45 F.

Also want to add that the beer fermented for a month, and doesn't have any noticeable off tastes, and this is about my 10th batch so I have some feel for the process.

Old 05-02-2010, 12:10 AM   #4
JefeTheVol
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts

How much sugar did you prime with? Also, depending on your bottling practices its possible that the priming sugar was unevenly dissolved into the beer and some of them got over-carbed.
-Jefe-

-Sometimes I feel like I'm up beer creek without a pint glass-

-May the IBU's be with you-

Old 05-02-2010, 12:24 AM   #5
jjl04002
Recipes 

I used 1.25 cups of DME with 2 cups water in a 5 gallon batch. I also usually put in the DME and wait ~15+ minutes before bottling. Also I am getting the same effect in every bottle so I would doubt its uneven sugar.

Quick Reply