Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > overattenuated APA keg or bottle

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2010, 08:55 PM   #1
broadbill
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 305 Times on 215 Posts
Likes Given: 206

Default overattenuated APA keg or bottle

About a month back I brewed one of Jamil's APA recipes as well as his Oatmeal Stout recipe. The APA finished out at a lower FG than I was expecting (recipe said FG=1.016 and mine was 1.008, a 85% attenuation). Anyway, when I tasted it I noted it was very hop forward and I attributed that to the overattenuation, throwing it off-balance. It very well may have been a bit green, too. The oatmeal stout, on the other hand pretty good and right where it was supposed to be with FG.

I originally planned to keg the APA and bottle the stout (I only have one keg), but now I'm thinking that the APA may be the one to bottle? An extended aging period my mellow the hop bitterness and bring this beer back in balance a bit. Is my thinking right on this on "rescuing" over-attentuated beers? This is my plan right now, subject to change based on tasting it again to see if the harsh hop bitterness has mellowed in the APA any....

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2010, 09:10 PM   #2
Irrenarzt
HNIC
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 154 Times on 113 Posts
Likes Given: 91

I recently made an over attenuated APA. I kegged it and I'm drinking it.

On Tap: Belgian Pale Ale, Session Porter, American Brown Ale, Rum Barrel-Aged Wee Heavy, Beer Camp #118 Grandma's Closet

On Deck: Oud Bruin, Blue Corn Saison, Weizenbock, Berliner Weisse, Pomegranate Cider

Old 02-25-2010, 10:20 PM   #3
splendidus
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Can't you age it in either the keg or bottles?

Old 02-25-2010, 10:21 PM   #4
Irrenarzt
HNIC
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 154 Times on 113 Posts
Likes Given: 91

Sure either is fine but why bother? Drink it and make something else. Doesn't sound like something worth aging. I know in my case it's not. Mine tastes great but is pretty dry.

On Tap: Belgian Pale Ale, Session Porter, American Brown Ale, Rum Barrel-Aged Wee Heavy, Beer Camp #118 Grandma's Closet

On Deck: Oud Bruin, Blue Corn Saison, Weizenbock, Berliner Weisse, Pomegranate Cider

Old 02-26-2010, 01:30 PM   #5
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

How about kegging it and adding some maltodextrin? You could do the adds in stages and find out what works the best.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 02-26-2010, 01:39 PM   #6
broadbill
Recipes 

Sorry, I don't think I made my thinking clear:

Since I only have one keg, beer that end up in it typically gets drunk first/fast. My initial thought was to put the APA on tap and bottle the stout for a more extended aging (to let the roasted barley notes mellow some).

However, my thought was that my APA may benefit from some aging and should be bottled instead. Although Irrenarzt's point about cutting my loses and kegging it for a quick drink does seem like the best bet.

Old 02-26-2010, 01:40 PM   #7
broadbill
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42 View Post
How about kegging it and adding some maltodextrin? You could do the adds in stages and find out what works the best.
Thanks for the suggestion, it seems like more work than its worth-I'll probably end up drinking most of it myself anyway!

Old 02-26-2010, 02:39 PM   #8
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

Cornies are cheap and re-usable.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 02-26-2010, 02:46 PM   #9
petep1980

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 1

My Double APA got down to 1.006 - 1.008. I added ~8oz maltodextrine at bottling. It's body is great.

Quick Reply