Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Over shot steeping temp on specialty grain - can I still harvest yeast?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2010, 08:06 PM   #1
JonClayton
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Over shot steeping temp on specialty grain - can I still harvest yeast?

I know that is random subject but lets try anyway. I accidentally over shot my steeping temp for my latest brew which was an extract w/specialty grains. The temp hit about 180 in the pot before I caught it. I immediately iced it and cooled it off, so the grains were only over heated for 5 mins or so if that.

I have resisted the urge to ask the typical "did i ruin my beer" questions because what's done is done and I am going to bottle it and hope for the best. However I am getting ready to place another AHS order and one of the brews I want uses the same WLP001 that is in this """""burned""" brew. Do you think I'll be ok to harvest this yeast? The beer may be fine (hopefully is fine), but assuming the worst and it has an off taste, do you think the yeast will be ok for washing/reusing?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2010, 08:40 PM   #2
dcp27
Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 3

it should be fine, off-flavors generally travel with the wort, not the yeast.

Old 07-10-2010, 01:42 AM   #3
Sedge
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Yup yeast should be fine. Just rinse it nicely with sanitary water at the least before repitching if you find the flavor of the beer to be offensive.

Fermenting: Flanders Red Ale
Conditioning: Blackberry Mead, Altbier, Cardamom Saison
Kegged: Vanilla Bourbon Porter, Belgian Strong Dark

Quick Reply