Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Weekend to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > an outrageous idea!?!?! $$$

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2013, 01:13 AM   #1
cageybee
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 140

Default an outrageous idea!?!?! $$$

ok, so we see the beer industry morphing in such a way that microbreweries are taking off, and home brewing seems to be growing as well. I assume that this means that (among other things) that the American consumer (in this case) is again declaring their preferences where beer is concerned....and that preference is for "choice". To be able to choose/control what is available for them to enjoy (setting BMC drinkers aside, because they've made a different choice that we can respect). Taking this to a (ridiculous?) extreme: why couldn't, in a city like Denver let's say, a company that custom-brews 5 gallon batches for customers be successful? we custom brew batches for ourselves, many of our friends enjoy the fruits of our labor...but they don't necessarily want to go through the process/hassle of brewing it themselves. it would seem that if that company provided an "experience" that included educating thier customers on what ingredients produce what effects (with other sage advice), the customer could be provided the opportunity to create a beer (recipe) themselves...thereby making them powerful "owners" of the product they bought (never mind that 100 other customers may have created the same recipe)....this one is called KGB's brown ale. or whatever. ok, that's enough from me...just want to start the thread to see what others think. ridiculous?

"The surgeon general has determined the previous information may be tainted with arrogant proselytizations...consume at your own risk"

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2013, 01:19 AM   #2
SilverZero
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 40

I've had thoughts like this before, and in my mind it always comes back to my assumption that most people aren't patient enough to wait 3 weeks (more for bottles) for a custom beer, especially if they don't know how it will taste. There might be a niche, but my feeling is that it would be limited.

Old 04-16-2013, 01:20 AM   #3
amandabab
Recipes 

Liked 237 Times on 182 Posts
Likes Given: 446

brew on premesis is close.

customer buys ingredients and rents the equipment and storage space. customer is doing all the brewing and is common in canada and growing in US states where homebrew can be taken outside of the residence.

actually brewing custom 5 gallon batches for a customer would mean all the regular brewery start up and batches would need to be expensive to make a profit.

Old 04-16-2013, 01:22 AM   #4
acidrain
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 132 Times on 114 Posts
Likes Given: 29

I think there are two kinds of beer drinkers... those that want to brew their own, and those that want to just go to the store and buy some.
I don't think a "go to the store and buy some" guy will take the time to learn the ingredients for a custom brew.
It will be interesting to see how the consumer dictates store bought brews though... I already see more custom bombers than I ever have.

Keg #1: Bourbon/Oak Vanilla Porter
Keg #2: Cascadian Stout
Keg #3: BMC West
Bottled: Mjolnir Mead, Lazy Daze Hefe, The Bollocks ESB, Dark Matter stout.

Old 04-16-2013, 01:24 AM   #5
reverendj1
Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 113

Although this would be cool (for people who don't want to homebrew, but still have "their own" beer), I don't think it would be financially feasible for the brewery. They'd have to tack on costs for things such as space, man-hours, etc, etc. that we as homebrewers don't include in the costs for our hobby. I would guess that your 5 gallon keg (or whatever) would end up being sold at a price that would far surpass what people would be willing to pay. Of course, this is all conjecture, and I don't really know what the costs would be, or what the market for something like this would be. It's just my best guess that it would be prohibitively expense for both the brewer and consumer.

Old 04-16-2013, 01:25 AM   #6
Billy-Klubb
Is Always Watching
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2628 Times on 1680 Posts
Likes Given: 5174

there's quite a few places around that have kits where the customer brews, leaves it there to ferment in a temp controlled environment, and comes back to bottle. I'd say you'd have to have a complete understanding of the wide variety of styles to custom tailor brews for the customer, and SMaSH samples for them to get an understanding of what they want. but I personally don't think it's ridiculous. it's kind of a good idea, really. I'm not sure how feasible it is on a financial level. but being in a proper city should help generate enough interest & business.

There is a difference between pride and arrogance. Which do you hold in your heart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by andycr View Post
If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing...

Old 04-16-2013, 01:25 AM   #7
cageybee
Recipes 

I'm sure it would be limited (by the wait), but as we build our pipelines, so to the customer could be educated to build theirs. I think that if the product was believed to be "superior" for whatever reason that the customer would wait...look at how long ahead of time people pre-order phones, etc. "ya, I had to wait...but it was worth it"

"The surgeon general has determined the previous information may be tainted with arrogant proselytizations...consume at your own risk"

Old 04-16-2013, 01:26 AM   #8
reverendj1
Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 113

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandabab View Post
brew on premesis is close.

customer buys ingredients and rents the equipment and storage space. customer is doing all the brewing and is common in canada and growing in US states where homebrew can be taken outside of the residence.

actually brewing custom 5 gallon batches for a customer would mean all the regular brewery start up and batches would need to be expensive to make a profit.
I forgot about those places. I don't know of any around me, but I have seen them on TV shows. I think that would really be the best way to accomplish the idea, and it already does seem to be working. At least for some people.

Old 04-16-2013, 01:28 AM   #9
cageybee
Recipes 

for the economics to work, you would have to remember you're selling an EXPERIENCE (star bux). who the flock would have predicted that someone could sell a cup of coffee for several bucks? so think of a shop in which customers can compare notes about what THEY brewed while there standing in line or sampling or people watching..all the while you got gurus (ala an apple store) walking around giving out tips..etc.

Old 04-16-2013, 01:37 AM   #10
Billy-Klubb
Is Always Watching
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2628 Times on 1680 Posts
Likes Given: 5174

Quote:
Originally Posted by cageybee View Post
for the economics to work, you would have to remember you're selling an EXPERIENCE (star bux). who the flock would have predicted that someone could sell a cup of coffee for several bucks? so think of a shop in which customers can compare notes about what THEY brewed while there standing in line or sampling or people watching..all the while you got gurus (ala an apple store) walking around giving out tips..etc.
I'm not disagreeing with you at all. I think Denver would be a great place to start. what you'll need to consider is the amount of time & licenses to get off the ground. you'll basically be starting a micro brewery. start looking for investors now.

There is a difference between pride and arrogance. Which do you hold in your heart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by andycr View Post
If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing...

Quick Reply