Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Outdoor brewing in summer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2012, 12:24 AM   #41
Bamsdealer
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

two weeks ago... brutal. 100F started at noon and brewed in the sun on blacktop. Not making that mistake again.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2012, 12:34 AM   #42
craigger64
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 68

85 degrees today and 76 percent humidity here in Pennsyltucky. Brewed in the garage because of thunderstorms. I brew when I can. Nothing we can do about the weather.

Old 07-16-2012, 12:43 AM   #43
Stauffbier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1003 Times on 617 Posts
Likes Given: 2673

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregwarro View Post
Last week I did a Belgian Wit, it was 104 in the shade. Just make sure you have plenty of cold beer on tap or in the fridge and you will be fine
This! I've brewed on my patio where it read 105F in the shade three times in the last month. One thing to my benefit is that I don't babysit the boil. I go inside and do other prep and go out and check on the boil every 10 or 15 minutes. I have a few windows looking out to my patio, so I can see what's going on with the burner & kettle. The hardest part about brewing on those hot days is chilling, but even that isn't so bad with my pond pump and ice bath....

Old 07-16-2012, 03:06 PM   #44
nickelmcgee
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Weather is never a consideration, garage, fans and 100+ temperatures. Going to brew on Saturday weather calls for 100. It helps to have an electric set-up, doesnt seem to be as hot around the HLT and kettle, propane gives off tons of radiant heat. We'd lose 4-5 months of brewing if we didnt above 90.

Old 07-20-2012, 03:27 AM   #45
Mermaid
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I've decided to brew smaller AG batches indoors for the time being as I really don't have a way to avoid hot sun + patio burner and I know that it would take forever to cool the thing down. It's just a combination of where I live and my brewing area that make it so much more a pain in the butt. Figure I can just brew a couple weekends back to back, and make use of the 3 gallon fermenters I've got sitting around. I would love to brew a saison while the weather is hot. I've got some lovely sour cherry / hibiscus tea from Poland that would be a fun addition to a saison.

I'll save my next British ale batch for when the weather cools down. Maybe I'll build myself a 10 gallon mash tun between now and then so I can brew a bigger beer too..

-------------------------
Primary: Empty
Secondary: Empty!
an empty fermenter is a sad fermenter
Bottled: Nut brown ale, Bink blond clone (she's a bitter Belgian!) Belgian Wit, several other tasty beers that have since been consumed!
On deck: TBD

Quick Reply