Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Other homebrewers beer thoughts

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2009, 08:42 PM   #1
Matt Up North
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Other homebrewers beer thoughts

Have you found that other homebrewers might not have what it takes to make good beer. I had a friends' beer and it tasted bad. Another friends' beer was good, but rather thin. Is this a problem that can be fixed? Can I invite them over or say let's have a beer session and critique in order to make your beer better?

I love beer and want everyone to enjoy it as much as I have, both drinking and brewing.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2009, 09:17 PM   #2
Rick500
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Of course. We should all help each other brew better beer. As long as you're not rude about it, I don't see any problem.

I want people to tell me how my beer could be better (assuming they know what the heck they're talking about).

Old 05-29-2009, 10:17 PM   #3
ifishsum
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I guess the big question is, do they agree that your beer is better than theirs?

I'm always happy to help and offer advise, but only to those who seem to want it. It might take a little tact on your part to offer critique without offending, they may be very happy with the beer they are making. I guess it just depends on the person - some folks are happy to receive constructive criticism and others (my wife comes to mind LOL) are not as thrilled as they should be when given suggestions for improvement.

Primary 2: Edwort's Robust Porter
Secondary 1: LW Pale Ale
Secondary 1: Blackened Soul RIS
Kegged: Dead Guy Ale
Kegged: Rye Pale Ale
Kegged: Haus Pale Ale
Kegged: Nut Brown Ale
Kegged: Afrikan Amber
Kegged: Jock Scott Ale
Kegged: Afrikan Amber

Old 05-29-2009, 10:21 PM   #4
c.n.budz

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifishsum View Post
I guess the big question is, do they agree that your beer is better than theirs?
Exactly. Remember, taste is subjective. Your friends, and other people, may think your beer is no good.

Always do sober what you do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut. -Ernest Hemingway

Old 05-29-2009, 10:25 PM   #5
IXVolt
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 76

I would welcome constructive criticism, but its a lot easier when the "your beer is thin" is followed by have you tried this or this to help thicken it?"

Old 05-29-2009, 10:27 PM   #6
AnOldUR
fer-men-TAY-shuhn

Recipes 

Liked 553 Times on 402 Posts
Likes Given: 425

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifishsum View Post
I guess it just depends on the person - some folks are happy to receive constructive criticism and others (my wife comes to mind LOL) are not as thrilled as they should be when given suggestions for improvement.
Hey ifishsum, from your avatar, it looks like you could use some finings in your boil.
That's the nature of being competitive. You find yourself wanting validation from more objective sources then your own ego.

Old 05-30-2009, 04:54 PM   #7
Matt Up North
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Yeah, I am not trying to be mean about it at all. I love hanging out with them and sucking back a few. I do find though on a consistent basis (compared to both commercial and homebrew) that their beers could use a little tweaking. The friend that had a thinner beer, it was a tasty IPA, though at the same time was kind of weak in the malt flavor department and went down like a hopped up MGD. I don't know his recipe so I couldn't help him at the time, but I would like to find out what could be done to improve it with him.

As I say, we all love beer and I am not saying that mine is any better than theirs. I am saying though that if they are brewing beer and might be able to improve it with some collective brainstorming, is it a good idea to bring it up or no?

Old 05-30-2009, 05:01 PM   #8
boo boo
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 4

If you think you won't insult them with constructive criticism, then go for it. I for one, while remembering that I like the taste of my brews, still like to get opinions of other brewers to further improve my brews. I give as well as take, so my opinions are also taken with a grain of salt, so to speak, by my other brewer buddies.
A craftsman shouldn't worry about constructive criticism, especially if it helps him improve.

How do you BBQ an elephant....first you get your elephant....

Old 05-30-2009, 05:21 PM   #9
Nurmey
I love making Beer

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I've found that some brewers do not care to advance or improve their beers or methods.

My neighbor's dad brews beer....bad beer. He uses lots of sugar and his beer is always skunked because he only uses clear bottles. He is perfectly happy brewing his bad beers. I don't know if he has ever had really good beer so he may not know the difference.

Someone who should know the difference because he is an beer snob is our best friend and brew buddy. He has no interest in trying all grain. We finally "kind of" got him to do some partial mashes. I say "kind of" because I did it but it was at his house. If I hadn't done it for him, he would be perfectly happy making simple boxed kits forever.

I must admit that I don't really understand the lack of interest in improving ones knowledge and skills at the craft but I guess for some folks good enough is good enough.

Old 05-30-2009, 05:47 PM   #10
StunnedMonkey
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts

Well, it seems simple to me. Offer them one of your homebrews that you think is better than what they're brewing, and if they respond with something like, "Man, your beer seems so much fuller and more balanced than mine," (or whatever) then you've got your opening to offer your help in improving theirs.

Tap 4:Old Ale
Tap 5:IPA

Quick Reply