New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Oshea brewing co. Minibrew 6.5 gallon conical fermenter (ebay), thoughts on it?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2009, 06:11 PM   #11
Dubcut
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Done and done. Mini Brew Fermenter + Keg system = half the work = Awesome.

on deck - Rum/Bourbon Porters, ipa
carboy - Oktoberfest lager
carboy - Oktoberfest S-05 (could be contaminated)
bucket -
keg 1 - Saison
keg 2 -
keg 3 -
keg 4 - Crappy Pilsner
keg 5 - Crappy Pilsner
keg 6 -

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2009, 07:00 PM   #12
Couevas

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I grew up in Southern California. O'Shea Brewing Company was my LHBS. They are a legit store that is trying to supplement their business by using Ebay. They are a great bunch of guys and also have a phenomenal commercial keg selection for those that need to buy a keg of commercial brew.

"No soldier can fight unless he is properly fed on beef and beer."
"Make sure that the beer - four pints a week - goes to the troops under fire before any of the parties in the rear get a drop."
-Winston Churchill----brilliant man

Old 03-24-2009, 10:09 PM   #13
RunNakeDnECU
Recipes 

Im still pretty new at this whole home brew thing, this question isnt meant to sound like a dick, but whats advantage of having this over just a normal food grade bucket, other then you dont have to auto siphon?

Primary: Raspberry Wit
Secondary: Air
Kegged: nothing
Bottle: nothing
Planned: xmas ale

Old 03-25-2009, 04:46 AM   #14
nutcase
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

looks awesome - but doesn't plastic end up having to be changed out every so often because cleaning will inevitably make some little areas where bacteria will find some little tiny places to hide?

Old 03-25-2009, 05:16 AM   #15
Thor the Mighty
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunNakeDnECU View Post
Im still pretty new at this whole home brew thing, this question isnt meant to sound like a dick, but whats advantage of having this over just a normal food grade bucket, other then you dont have to auto siphon?
as someone mentioned before, you can dump the trub/yeast through the bottom valve instead of having to siphon your batch into a secondary/carboy, therefore eliminating hundreds of potential infection points. its easy to maintain, clean, and instead of owning two containers, you own one, that will last forever.

plus they're dead sexy. i just got one off of craigslist for 175 bucks *7.1 gal* and it just FEELS like you own a brewery!

You finally made it home! Draped in the flag that you fell for. And so it goes, the ashes of the wake!

Old 03-25-2009, 09:16 PM   #16
Thirsty_Monk
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutcase View Post
looks awesome - but doesn't plastic end up having to be changed out every so often because cleaning will inevitably make some little areas where bacteria will find some little tiny places to hide?
I do not think this is a case because this is much harder plastic then one on plastic buckets

Na Zdravie

On Tap:
AltBier
Bohemian Dark Beer

Lagering/Conditioning:
Bohemian Pilsner

In Fermenter:
Bohemian Pilsner

Old 03-26-2009, 06:43 PM   #17
Beer_Pirate
Recipes 

My biggest concern with using plastic for fermentation is if over time the beer smell kind of soaks into the plastic, and then forces its "aroma" onto subsequent batches.

have you guys had any problem with this?

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
-- Ben Franklin

"God put grapes on this Earth to make wine."
--My Dad

w00t cool old guys!

Old 03-26-2009, 06:54 PM   #18
llazy_llama
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 25 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beer_Pirate View Post
My biggest concern with using plastic for fermentation is if over time the beer smell kind of soaks into the plastic, and then forces its "aroma" onto subsequent batches.

have you guys had any problem with this?
Not even a little bit. If that's happening to you, you need to step up your cleaning process. With PET, nothing should be left behind. Don't use a brush, which can scratch the plastic. Soak it overnight in oxiclean free or PBW, then rinse the hell out of it. For my Better Bottles, I also treat them to a heavy spray down in my jet bottle washer. Afterwords, they look and smell brand new.

For the "Why use a conical?" questions, it's simple. They look awesome, they allow you to take SG readings without risk of contaminating the beer, they allow you to rack without an siphon, and they allow you to dump the yeast cake out of the bottom, turning your primary fermenter into a secondary fermenter without having to move the beer. They're also available in stainless steel, which is easier to clean, and will outlive your grandkids. Also, they look even awesomer.

For me, when (not if) I make the move to conicals, they'll be big enough to handle 10 gallon batches. The added expense for a 5 gallon batch just doesn't make sense to my wallet.

Old 03-26-2009, 06:59 PM   #19
Beer_Pirate
Recipes 

I'm actually looking hard at the 15 gallon minibrew... still have yet filed my taxes, but when that happens, i might pick one up with the money from the return.

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
-- Ben Franklin

"God put grapes on this Earth to make wine."
--My Dad

w00t cool old guys!

Old 03-26-2009, 07:07 PM   #20
Couevas

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

One thing to think about with conicals is the space they take up.

For me, this was the deal-breaker. Not that I can't find floor space for one, but that I can't fit one in my fermentation freezer. It seems that you would have a hard time battling temps with one. Or you would have to stick to seasonal brews only to account for effect of weather on fermentation temperature.

"No soldier can fight unless he is properly fed on beef and beer."
"Make sure that the beer - four pints a week - goes to the troops under fire before any of the parties in the rear get a drop."
-Winston Churchill----brilliant man

Quick Reply