Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Oshea brewing co. Minibrew 6.5 gallon conical fermenter (ebay), thoughts on it?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2009, 03:38 AM   #1
Dubcut
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Oshea brewing co. Minibrew 6.5 gallon conical fermenter (ebay), thoughts on it?

Has anyone succumbed to their weakness and bought this? If so, your thoughts on it?

Minibrew 6.5 gallon Conical Fermenter - eBay (item 190295640992 end time Mar-29-09 11:05:18 PDT)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2009, 04:35 AM   #2
GunnerMan
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

My LHBS had 2 of these in stock last week, they looked pretty nice, not enough to justify the 200 sum he wanted for them but pretty handy. As of this week they are both gone, so someone wanted them.

Primary : Honeybuns Weizen, Ode to Arthur(with partial sour)
Secondary:
Bottled: Cream of Three Crops, Hazed and Infused Clone
Planned: A green chile beer, I live in New Mexico gotta have the green chile beer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckfoot View Post
Two days into my last batch made and the scent of the farts of a thousand rhinos is permeating the basement...

Life is good...

Old 03-24-2009, 02:00 PM   #3
Thirsty_Monk
Recipes 

I have on of them. I did 14 batches in it so far.

If you want conical and you do not want to spend money for stainless, then this is a fine pick.

By the way no need to go to e-bay. You can fin it also in here:
MiniBrew Fermenter - 6.5 - Conical Fermenters - High Gravity

I bought mine from here.
http://brewcitysupplies.com/

Na Zdravie

On Tap:
AltBier
Bohemian Dark Beer

Lagering/Conditioning:
Bohemian Pilsner

In Fermenter:
Bohemian Pilsner

Old 03-24-2009, 02:30 PM   #4
Dubcut
Recipes 

That's great to hear TMonk. I'm gonna let this thread go for another full day just in case I get a "NOOOO don't do that!", but inevitably, I'm going to buy this tonight.

Old 03-24-2009, 02:51 PM   #5
Hodawg
Recipes 

I've done about 10 batches in mine. VERY easy to clean and maintain. The only thing that I'd change on this is the aluminum stand. It's rather flimsy when you get the full weight of 5 gallons in it. The rubber lid can be very finicky at times depending on the temperature. Some times it is so tight that it is difficult to stretch over the lip of the top, other times it fits loosely enough that I use a zip-tie to hold it in place. Overall it is a very nice set-up.

Beers,
Ken

"Never mind Doc, he's drunk." - Wyatt Earp
"Nonsense, I've not yet begun to defile myself." - Doc Holliday

Old 03-24-2009, 03:32 PM   #6
bdnoona
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I'm just curious... what's the benefit of a conical over a normal fermenter? My bucket costs $10, compared to $160 for that conical. What difference does the $150 make besides being more cool brew gear?

Fermenting, aging, kegged, bottled, drinking, etc... Who's got time to keep their sig updated?
The answer to all is: something (hopefully good).

Go White Sox! http://www.sox35th.com/

Old 03-24-2009, 03:43 PM   #7
JVD_X
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I have the 15 gallon and I am pretty happy with it. There are a few issues but those are easily mitigated and do not apply to the 6.5 gallon version. I wish that the ports were 2" rather than 1/2" but that is me. Also, you will need to completely disassemble the device every time you use it. This includes taking all the valves off and cleaning the threads.

The best reason for a conical is that you don't need to rack the beer because you can dump the trub and yeast from the bottom valve.

What I do is set my freezer to 15 degrees F, pump the chilled wort though my CFC to get it down to 60F, then into the super cold conical. Then I set the freezer to my pitching temp. This causes the cold break to settle out in a few hours, pretty tightly I might add. Then I dump all that crap through the bottom and pitch my yeast. You would have trouble with this since you don't have a lot of extra space to allow the dumps.

Also, with pressure capable conicals (not this one) you can actually carbonate and bottle directly from the conical.

- JVD_X

Old 03-24-2009, 05:18 PM   #8
Dubcut
Recipes 

It's funny I searched for this pretty hard on the forum and couldn't find anything, but I see 5 threads of what I'm looking for linked on the bottom -under the thread. I'm ordering this right now. I'm pretty stoked.

on deck - Rum/Bourbon Porters, ipa
carboy - Oktoberfest lager
carboy - Oktoberfest S-05 (could be contaminated)
bucket -
keg 1 - Saison
keg 2 -
keg 3 -
keg 4 - Crappy Pilsner
keg 5 - Crappy Pilsner
keg 6 -

Old 03-24-2009, 05:38 PM   #9
nebben
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVD_X View Post

Also, with pressure capable conicals (not this one) you can actually carbonate and bottle directly from the conical.
I believe that the pressurized Blichmanns are meant to facilitate CO2 pressure assisted beer transfers out of the unit, so it doesn't need to be physically mounted higher than your keg or whathaveyou.

Old 03-24-2009, 05:48 PM   #10
JVD_X
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebben View Post
I believe that the pressurized Blichmanns are meant to facilitate CO2 pressure assisted beer transfers out of the unit, so it doesn't need to be physically mounted higher than your keg or whathaveyou.
This is true but I have still heard of members on this board that do it anyway. I believe the blichman only supports a few pounds of pressure but over several weeks this is all you need to carbonate, especially with the temp down around freezing.

- JVD_X

Quick Reply