The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Original Gravity.. am I missing something??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2011, 09:22 PM   #1
BradleyBrew
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Default Original Gravity.. am I missing something??

Ok today i tried to brew a Belgian style beer with a original gravity of 1.070. Upon taking my OG reading it read 1.050ish... I dont see how this is possible as I used these as my fermentables

6lbs of LME
1.5 Belgian Candy Sugar (homemade)
1/2 lb of corn sugar
+ whatever from specialty grains.

?? Is my hydrometer off?? I've been skeptical of that device

thanks for your help

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2011, 09:24 PM   #2
decoyman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

What was the temp of the wort?

Old 01-28-2011, 09:50 PM   #3
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 230 Times on 178 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Yeah, you're missing something, your original gravity.

<drum roll and snare>

<weak applause>

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 01-28-2011, 09:51 PM   #4
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Seriously though, was this a partial boil or did you top off this batch with water?

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 01-28-2011, 10:08 PM   #5
pkeeler
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

How many gallons are you trying to make (i.e. critical info)?

Old 01-28-2011, 10:21 PM   #6
BradleyBrew
Recipes 

I'm sorry it was partial boil and topped off with water at the 5 gallon mark. Temp of the water was exactly 70*. Never really had a problem hitting my target gravity... thinking I screwed up the homemade candi... not sure if that is possible though?... Thanks!

I did aerate the wort before taking the reading like a sillywilly?? I would guess this could make the wort "lighter" or less dense of course...

Last edited by BradleyBrew; 01-28-2011 at 10:24 PM.

Old 01-28-2011, 10:31 PM   #7
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Well, I took a minute to run your numbers through software and come up with a predicted OG of 1.050 for 5.5 gallons. Where are you getting 1.070?

Old 01-28-2011, 10:49 PM   #8
BradleyBrew
Recipes 

damn it! I did the math and I knew I needed 9.5lbs of LME... the guy at the home brew shop assured me that I did not need that much extract! Well after I got the reading I boiled another 2 cups of corn sugar and added it to my wort then pitched my yeast.. grrrrr!!! Doubt that brings it up to 1.070... by the way it was a bastardized Chimay Red Clone.... A monk would probably smack me for using my own candi and S-33 high gravity yeast (not that I need it for this average abv brew)

I REALLY appreciate your help... could I add corn sugar now?? or just chalk it up to go by your own math experience??

Hmmmm might start have to find a new beer store... Thats like telling someone that dont need two slices of cheese for double cheeseburger!

Last edited by BradleyBrew; 01-28-2011 at 10:53 PM.

Old 01-29-2011, 05:30 PM   #9
dcp27
Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 3

how much specialty grain was in this? if there was 2lbs or so, and you have 5gals then you should be around 1.07

Old 01-30-2011, 02:27 AM   #10
BradleyBrew
Recipes 

No it was only around 1 lb... I followed the Clone recipes. I try to watch my cost on each beer and instead of using 4lbs of dme I did the math and converted it all to lme. I came up with 9.5lbs but the local beer shop convinced that was to much.. they insisted that 6lb plus my 1.5lb of belgian candi would be enough. oh well next I will just buy what I want/need and not just listen to someone else. Thanks though!

Quick Reply