The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Ordered centennial got centennial type

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2012, 06:58 AM   #1
fab80
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Ordered centennial got centennial type

Hi everybody,
I'm new to this forum but have checked it regularly for the past two years and have had all the answers i needed. Now I have a question. I ordered 1/2 a pound of centennial hops a month ago from brewgadgets but got centennial-type hops instead, which i used before, liked them, but this time i was really looking forward to use the real stuff to make a comparison for an all centennial dipa i brew. i emailed them and they were nice and gave me a full refund and let me keep the hops. good. But my question is: is it normal to get centennial type instead of real centennial? On their website there is no clue they could be c-type: http://www.brewgadgets.com/p-764-cen...lets-1-oz.aspx
Have i been a jerk to email them about it? Do you guys usually call the Vendor to make sure what kind of hops they are or you don't care?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 07:07 AM   #2
namyarb3
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 30

I would think that if you ordered centennial hops, you should get centennal hops and not a substitute.
They were right to refund you.
You are not a jerk. They shouldn't have taken/processed your order without the hops available or in stock.

And I would be pissed to recieve a substitute. An email would be the least I would do.

Old 11-25-2012, 07:08 AM   #3
dkm11b
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

umm i looked at the website, and it says centennial, but if what you received wasn't what you thought you ordered, then no. if you ordered a big Mac, and got something else you would go back and make a fuss about it. hops are no different. if you wanted centennial, and got something similar, then you didn't get what you paid for.

Old 11-25-2012, 07:09 AM   #4
bobbrewedit
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by namyarb3
I would think that if you ordered centennial hops, you should get centennal hops and not a substitute.
They were right to refund you.
You are not a jerk. They shouldn't have taken/processed your order without the hops available or in stock.

And I would be pissed to recieve a substitute. An email would be the least I would do.
I agree...send what I've ordered or don't take my money.

Old 11-25-2012, 07:57 AM   #5
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 271 Times on 237 Posts
Likes Given: 323

OK, I'll bite. What are "centennial-type" hops? Did they send you a blend of other hops that are similar to centennial? Did they send you half a pound of some other hop? Or is this just a discrepancy in labeling?

I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

Pappers_ Likes This 
Old 11-25-2012, 08:14 AM   #6
45_70sharps
Recipes 

Liked 172 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 136

If you didn't get what you ordered you were right to call them on it.

I can't imagine any company knowingly sending something other than what you ordered and expecting it to be OK.
Bad, bad business.

That is exactly the type of thing that will keep people from ordering from them.
Making it right after they are called on it doesn't make up for it.

If they couldn't fill the order they should have contacted you with offers of cancelling the order or substitution. Hopefully they would do that in time for you to shop elsewhere for what you wanted.

Let's see if I keep this updated!

On tap
Black Butte clone

In secondary
Pumpkin ale

In primary
Honey wit

Up next.. Firestone Union Jack clone

Old 11-25-2012, 08:45 AM   #7
45_70sharps
Recipes 

Liked 172 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 136

Double post. My bad.

Let's see if I keep this updated!

On tap
Black Butte clone

In secondary
Pumpkin ale

In primary
Honey wit

Up next.. Firestone Union Jack clone

Old 11-25-2012, 09:02 AM   #8
mooshimanx
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by daksin View Post
OK, I'll bite. What are "centennial-type" hops? Did they send you a blend of other hops that are similar to centennial? Did they send you half a pound of some other hop? Or is this just a discrepancy in labeling?
"Centennial-Type" is a HopUnion name for a pelletized hop blend made up of Cascade and *Columbus (sorry misspoke when I said Chinook, they all have "C"s!) which is designed to imitate Centennial. When in-demand hop varieties become scarce, HU will develop custom blends designed to imitate a specific hop, although I don't think you typically see them marketed directly as substitutes (or even necessarily for sale to homebrewers, I know for a fact that a few years ago there was a blend offered to professional breweries designed to imitate Simcoe, but I haven't ever seen it; I've heard rumors that Falconer's Flight is that blend and Zythos is the Amarillo blend substitute, although HopUnion doens't ever specify as such)

I know at least some sellers have balked at using the "Centennial-type" branding (probably due to the fact that it is not actually Centennial and sort of skirts the line of dishonesty and at the very least confusion).

Luckly for the buyer in this thread, this is the right time of year to pick up some of the new crop of Centennial which has been fairly recently pelleted. If you check the various websites around this forum you'll find plenty of places with ample availability of the 2012 crop.

Centennial is one of those weird hops that is public domain (since I believe it was developed by a public program) but also becomes scarce due to the fact its used pretty extensively in popular modern recipes i.e. hoppy IPAs that use a ton of hops.

Old 11-25-2012, 12:06 PM   #9
Glynn
Brewing 20 yrs & still a noob
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 118 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 21

do yourself a favor next time and buy your hops from farmhouse brewing. you could have gotten a full pound for what you paid for the half and it would have been right the first time

Good people drink good beer - Hunter S. Thompson
Duct tape. The handyman's secret weapon - Red Green

Naughty Kitty Brewing EST 1993
Primary 1 -
Primary 2 -
Primary 3 -
Secondary 1 -
Secondary 2 -
Bottled - Imperial IPA, Oaked zythos pale ale, Cascadian dark ale, Sumpin sumpin clone, Summit hopped pale ale, Citra IPA

Old 11-25-2012, 12:49 PM   #10
Hammy71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 388 Times on 303 Posts
Likes Given: 584

You did the right thing and so did they. No body here knows if it was shipped to you on purpose or some young kid working in the back of the store saw Centennial on a bag of hops and tossed it into your box. I see no reason for others to post how dishonest the store is unless you know what happened. I would've been upset if I got the wrong hops too, but they made it right and life goes on.

Quick Reply