New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > optimum ale ferm. temps.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2012, 02:14 AM   #1
roymullins
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default optimum ale ferm. temps.

been placing thermometers around the house trying to determine the best place to sit the primary fermenter for a nice long time... temp fluctuates of course- from about 64-68 throughout the day/night... thinking this will be OK- any thoughts? I am trying my damnest to control temps. better thanks to the advice of many on here- before I put it in the garage and didn't worry about- hot, cold or otherwise- and I have had some off-flavor issues...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2012, 02:24 AM   #2
whitehause
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 137 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I think 62 to 64 is what most people shoot for as a general temp range. 68 is a little on the high side but not too bad if that's the best you can do. Keep in mind the first few days of fermentation will have a higher internal temperature by about 4 or 5 deg.

Primary 1- BM's Cream of three crops.
Primary 2- Paleface Scalper
Primary 3- Monks Reward (Kreuzberg)
Kegged - Honey Badger, Heady topper clone 1, Indian Paleface Scalper
Bottled- Skeptical Dog winter Lager, Hell's Belgian, Old Dutch Hiefer Hefe,Aphlewein, Chocolate Thunder porter, Jacked up lantern

Old 12-31-2012, 02:26 AM   #3
roymullins
Recipes 

62-64 is even better! I have a spot for that- I thought that might be a little low...

Old 12-31-2012, 03:32 AM   #4
whitehause
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 137 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Fermentation creates some heat, so at 62 outside, the beer can be as high as 67/68. If you can do 62 to 64 your set.

Primary 1- BM's Cream of three crops.
Primary 2- Paleface Scalper
Primary 3- Monks Reward (Kreuzberg)
Kegged - Honey Badger, Heady topper clone 1, Indian Paleface Scalper
Bottled- Skeptical Dog winter Lager, Hell's Belgian, Old Dutch Hiefer Hefe,Aphlewein, Chocolate Thunder porter, Jacked up lantern

Old 12-31-2012, 07:09 AM   #5
snaps10
Recipes 

Liked 171 Times on 118 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I use US-05 in most of my beers and I find that two days at 60-62 then ramping it up to about 64-66 is perfect.

Old 12-31-2012, 07:37 PM   #6
jasonsbeer
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 8

An easy way to control temp fluctuations is to place the fermenter in a water bath, like a swamp cooler.

If you want, since you're already in the mid 60's, a couple of frozen pop bottles might be enought to keep your temps down in the lower 60's.

There are a terrible lot of lies going around the world, and the worst of it is half of them are true.

Winston Churchill

Old 12-31-2012, 08:01 PM   #7
jonmohno
Recipes 

Liked 402 Times on 356 Posts
Likes Given: 1156

I love brewing this time of year you can put them almost anywhere in your house,I got a beer i just made in a corner close to a heater around 66 to start, then will move it to basement stairs @ low 60's for primary fermentation,then I will move it back up closer to mid-high 60's to dryhop for a week. Low cost manual temperture control.. Using a smaller carboy in a tote,helps too.
I could lager pretty easily in my basement this time of year with a swamp cooler,but I still managed to do it successfully in the middle of summer-just had to change out frozen bottles more often. Never fluccuated more than 5 degrees.

Old 12-31-2012, 11:40 PM   #8
tgmartin000
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonmohno View Post
I love brewing this time of year you can put them almost anywhere in your house,I got a beer i just made in a corner close to a heater around 66 to start, then will move it to basement stairs @ low 60's for primary fermentation,then I will move it back up closer to mid-high 60's to dryhop for a week. Low cost manual temperture control.. Using a smaller carboy in a tote,helps too.
I could lager pretty easily in my basement this time of year with a swamp cooler,but I still managed to do it successfully in the middle of summer-just had to change out frozen bottles more often. Never fluccuated more than 5 degrees.
Did you notice any fvissues with a 5 degree temp fluctuation?

To the op, I try to keep my fermentor at 62-64 for a cleaner fermentation, then raise the temp a few degrees after a week. Ambient temp is immaterial.

Old 01-06-2013, 03:25 AM   #9
roymullins
Recipes 

OK... how the heck do you keep your fermentor at 62-64? Mine swings between 63 and 70 due to who is home, (the wife turns the heat up) and what is going on outside... without some kind of device to specifically control temps.- how does one keep their temps so f-ing constant?

Old 01-06-2013, 04:49 AM   #10
Jimmyjim
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by roymullins View Post
OK... how the heck do you keep your fermentor at 62-64? Mine swings between 63 and 70 due to who is home, (the wife turns the heat up) and what is going on outside... without some kind of device to specifically control temps.- how does one keep their temps so f-ing constant?
Water bath is the least expensive way.
Water temperature fluctuates much less than air temperature.

Quick Reply