Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Optimal hoppiness - should I add DME late in the boil?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2012, 09:03 PM   #1
Snoogles
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Optimal hoppiness - should I add DME late in the boil?

So me and some friends are brewing a hop bomb today. Ive heard a larger boil is better for that because the wort retains more bitterness when there is less sugar in it.. is that true and if so should i add my DME and sr in lte in the boil? How late? Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2012, 11:17 PM   #2
LowerMillHillBackyardBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Yeah, I've read and heard that maximum bitterness extraction is achieved in a wort with a gravity of 1.030. So you can use your favorite brewing software to figure out how much extract to add to your volume of water to get to 1.030. Add that amount as your wort comes to a boil, then add bittering hops, and add the remaining extract about 15 minutes before the end of the boil. For 5 gallons, I think about 3.5 pounds should give roughly 1.030.

Using a brewing software to calculate this is a good idea, since then you can estimate the IBUs, taking gravity, hop alpha acids, amount of hops, boil time, water volume, moon phase and whatnot into account.

Planning: Wit, Porter, more apfelwein and mead.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply