Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Opening a Nanobrewery!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2012, 05:02 PM   #21
PTBYOOJ
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Hey, all those breweries just means the market is there. Good luck!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2012, 05:16 PM   #22
BostonHomeBruin
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Congrats and good luck! Keep us posted on your progress, the rest of us would love to hear how it goes!

Old 04-24-2012, 05:17 PM   #23
kpr121
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 68

Congrats! Im pretty sure I'll never make it out to your place, but I'd like to follow along via the internetz!

Bottled:
Bulk Aging:
Up Next: ???? Suggestions?

Old 04-24-2012, 08:21 PM   #24
ralex999
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Good luck and let us know when you expand to a 100 bbl system.

Brewers log: This years Barley Wine Fermented violently. At one point, we had to lash down the Fermenter and flood the containment area around its base to prevent melt down or damage to the superstructure. My wife says the "Papers are in the mail". Thinking about brewing some Pepsi Cola or root beer this year.

Old 04-25-2012, 04:16 AM   #25
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 275 Times on 240 Posts
Likes Given: 324

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralex999 View Post
Good luck and let us know when you expand to a 100 bbl system.
Haha, not for a while, I hope. At that point I'd have to hire someone to show me how to use the system, and I'm not sure I'm there yet. I still want to be a brewer/owner (yea, I know I'm crazy) for as long as I can stand it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpr121 View Post
Congrats! Im pretty sure I'll never make it out to your place, but I'd like to follow along via the internetz!
You never know, San Diego isn't a bad place to wind up, and lots of people do without even trying. First pint's on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadHopper View Post
Wonderful! I don't think we can ever have too many breweries here. Even better if you do open in the Mira Mar/Mira Mesa area (close to work!).

Can't really help you with anything other than coming in to taste the beers once you are ready

Good luck and keep us updated.
Will do. Where are you working? Have you been to any of the local nanos? I've heard there are a few more opening up, but not in our area.

I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

Old 08-03-2012, 10:37 AM   #26
AdamWiz
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by daksin View Post
There is a ton of growth though. The West Coaster (a local beer mag) recently profiled 9 breweries in the process of expanding. Hess, a nano just like us, is moving up to a 30bbl system! Crazy!
Funny thing, person after person says that "nano breweries can't work, can't make money, will never be able to pay for expansion, etc. Probrewer.com has hundreds of posts saying how unrealistic people are about the prospects of nanobreweries - yet nano after nano has been succeeding, expanding, and yes - even making money! I appreciate the advice from people with knowledge of the business, but it really seems that they are way off with their grim outlook on the prospect of nanobreweries. Just off the top of my head I could name at least 15 that have done very well, have been profitable faster than expected, and expanded faster than expected - and that's just off the top of my head, I'm sure there are a ton more out there doing well. Of course not every one will be a success, but it seems to me that nanobreweries have a lower failure rate than a lot of startup businesses. If everyone took the advice of the Probrewer.com crowd about absolutely needing to be at least 7-15 barrels right from the start, a lot of the most successful micros in the country (New Belgium, Dogfish, Bell's, New Glarus, and on and on) would have never started up. Don't get me wrong, I am realistic. I know it involves a TON of work, losing money for a good amount of time, working all the time for a while, and all that. But I just think the talk of nanos being "unrealistic" are very much false. It's not that I would choose to go so small at first ideally; it's just the only choice unless you are either rich or willing to take on a gigantic amount of debt. I understand it involves a lot more work and a lot more time and energy spent upgrading and re-upgrading, but it is a way to "test the water" without a huge financial risk. You can always expand a small brewery that is not keeping up with demand. It sure beats going bankrupt because you went deep in debt starting up with a 30 barrel brewhouse and it didn't work out. I know there are a lot of factors that can determine if a brewery is a success or not, but I don't think any brewery has ever failed strictly because their system wasn't big enough (as long as the owner is willing to put in the work)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongrel View Post
The more breweries that come, the better they all seem to do. Beer tourism is catching on too.
Very true. It's not like some other businesses where you don't want to be located near any competitors. In craft brewing, being located near another popular brewery is actually beneficial to you. Beer enthusiasts are not brand loyal, they want to try everything. And if you're close to a brewery that already draws people, they'll probably try yours too. For instance, I have thrown around the idea of a nano in my hometown of Kalamazoo (the home of Bell's and soon the new Arcadia location). Some people say "you'll never be able to compete with Bell's". But I think differently: I wouldn't be trying to compete with them. Think about it: with 2 popular and well-known breweries in town, Kalamazoo is already a destination for beer people. And I'm thinking that they will also be excited to try out another brewery while they are here. After all, they aren't coming to Bell's because they only will drink Bell's beer, they are coming because they like craft beer and Bell's makes good stuff. But those same people would also support other breweries in town as well, as long as the product is good.

Anyways, good luck to all you out there who are making the jump and giving the pro brewing world a try. I wish you nothing but success.

Old 08-03-2012, 10:47 AM   #27
AdamWiz
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 4

(double post)

Old 08-03-2012, 06:09 PM   #28
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Thanks so much for your support. I couldn't agree more. You know what? I'm 25- I can afford to fail bigtime. It's not something I want to do, and certainly not something I'm planning on, but it won't be the end of the world. That's extraordinarily freeing- my wife is my business partner and I have no kids to support. Just cats.

It's all about low barrier to entry. I would imagine we're going to hit a plateau here when a lot of nanos start going under or the owners get tired of working 80 hour weeks to break even. Hopefully we'll still be young when that happens and can ride it out. If I can make the money I'm making now (not much, but enough), but do it making beer and selling it to my friends and neighbors, that's what I'm going to do.

I was told my entire life that I should do what I love to do and the rest will work itself out. Instead, got my degree in an interesting field and did some interesting work, but everything's a job unless you love it. Until now, "do what you love" has been more of a platitude, but I'm going to treat it like a dare.

I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

Dirty25 Likes This 
Old 08-03-2012, 07:02 PM   #29
Hernando
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Quote:
Originally Posted by daksin View Post
I was told my entire life that I should do what I love to do and the rest will work itself out. Instead, got my degree in an interesting field and did some interesting work, but everything's a job unless you love it. Until now, "do what you love" has been more of a platitude, but I'm going to treat it like a dare.
I like what you are saying here.

I wish you and your wife the best of business and good fortune. Just remember that brewing isn't a hobby now, it's your career. You can't wake up in the morning and not brew because you don't feel like it, you have to no matter what. But there are worse things to wake up and do then making beer.
"Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn't drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, it is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver." --Jack Handey
O'tega Brewing

Old 08-03-2012, 09:36 PM   #30
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Haha, many thanks! So true about not brewing because I don't feel like it. Until now, though, I've only ever wanted to brew when I couldn't and not the other way round. Hopefully that's a long way off!

Quick Reply