Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Opening Brewery in Ohio

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2010, 10:42 PM   #1
brewgineers
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Opening Brewery in Ohio

been homebrewing for a little while now and have just been curious as to the state laws in Ohio about manufacturing and distributing bottled and kegged beer. Have tried to understand the states website but always come up short. Can anyone help me understand the state laws and licensing for microbrewing?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2010, 01:27 AM   #2
android
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 3

that's a pretty loaded question. you should start by emailing someone at Ohio Liquor Control and asking them the initial questions you have. they will probably guide you toward their application/licensing area of that website and tell you to fill out the appropriate forms, etc. and then get back with any other questions you have. also seek advice/information from other breweries in the area (none of us will probably understand the specific workings of Ohio enough to really get you a decent understanding). just know that you need a building/location, equipment, etc. all lined up before you can get approved (at least that's how it is in iowa). you're kind of at the mercy of the state and federal governments after you have invested a lot of money and time to give you the permits needed. sorry i can't offer more help, but i think the people working in the industry in the area and the government officials are the best place to ask for elucidation on laws, permits, licensing, etc.

ebay temp controller | thermostat temp controller

Old 12-08-2010, 01:38 AM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4363 Times on 3172 Posts
Likes Given: 848

One of our HBT friends, Mirilis, opened a brewery. He lives in western OH, but I think he opened the brewery in Indiana, because of the laws in Ohio. You may want to check into the laws specific to Ohio, because I don't think Mirilis is online much these days. You could try sending him a PM though, just in case!

Old 12-08-2010, 01:41 AM   #4
brewgineers
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

thanks for the great info ill call over to the Ohio Liquor Control tomorrow and ask them what the process is

Old 12-08-2010, 01:43 AM   #5
bad67z
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 106 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 26

From a few folks I have talked to that have looked into it "we" here in Ohio have pretty heafty requirements to open a micro brewery. That is why there are so few of them. If I remember correctly there is a $ 10,000 annual licensing fee.

Old 12-08-2010, 02:16 AM   #6
brewgineers
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

From what ive looked at i found only one licensing fee that might pertain to me and its roughly $4000 fee but I am unsure about if it applies to microbreweries only making a certain amount. Maybe I should get some face time with the governor.

Old 12-08-2010, 02:29 AM   #7
Hermit
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewgineers View Post
From what ive looked at i found only one licensing fee that might pertain to me and its roughly $4000 fee but I am unsure about if it applies to microbreweries only making a certain amount. Maybe I should get some face time with the governor.
That is closer to the amount of the annual license hanging on the wall of the local brewery. That's a lot of beer just to pay for the 'right' to make beer....

Old 12-08-2010, 02:34 AM   #8
Zeuceone
Recipes 

Sell the kegs and the contents are free???

Old 12-08-2010, 02:43 AM   #9
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2762 Times on 2713 Posts
Likes Given: 118

Good luck. I drive past beaver creek from our house to my inlaws. I'd definitley stop in.

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Old 12-08-2010, 02:52 AM   #10
RebelHouse32
Recipes 

Hey brewgineers, the license is $4,000 in Ohio. I'm also from dayton and am finally almost ready to get the micro up and running. Unfortunately it takes a lot of capital and the taxes are pretty steep here. You have to pay an excise tax up front as well before you produce any beer, basically you buy the rights to the amount of beer you plan on producing in the calendar year along with the license. There are also taxes paid on every bottle and keg you produce. As mentioned above, you also need a location/equipment before you can even apply for the license. If you want to know more just pm me anytime.

[COLOR="Red"][B][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]The Dayton Beer Company

Last edited by RebelHouse32; 12-08-2010 at 03:23 AM.

Quick Reply