Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Opening a Brewery Licenses and Fees

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2012, 03:22 PM   #1
Draygon
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Opening a Brewery Licenses and Fees

So I have seen a few threads about people opening their nano breweries and have for a while been thinking of doing something like that myself. I am extremely close to obtaining the funding I need to open my nano brewery. What i havent delved into is the cost of the licenses and fees for doing so. I know that the beer I sell has to be taxed per ounce I believe as well.

So my question, can someone who has done this shed some light on these things for me (us) wanting to do this?

Im in Colorado too, for any state specific stuff.

Primary:Empty
Secondary: Amber Ale
Bottled: B2 Amber, Scottish Ale, Honey B Ale, Cherry Stout, Bourbon Vanilla Porter, Double Chocolate (Milk) Stout, B2 Cream Ale, Amber Cider, Maple syrup dark ale, Pirate Strong Ale, Midas touch clone, Spiced Imperial Stout, Olde Ale

Planned: Milk Stout, Barley Wine

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2012, 03:44 PM   #2
TheBreweryUnderground
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 9

For federal check out the TTB website, it's pretty helpful. For state stuff normally the state government site has a page for forms relating to manufacturing and distributing beer. probrewer.com is another helpful resource as well. What I've been having difficulty finding is more information on building requirements regarding drains, ventilation, etc. If anyone has any info/experience I'd like to hear about that.

“… Besides, the Word is the principal part of baptism. If in an emergency there’s no water at hand, it doesn’t matter whether water or beer is used.” ~Martin Luther

Old 04-25-2012, 03:55 PM   #3
TopherM
Vinz Clortho - the Keymaster of Gozer the Gozerian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Brew Setups
Recipes 

Liked 421 Times on 334 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Check out probrewer.com.

Homebrewtalk.com is a forum board for homebrewing.
Probrewer.com is the equivilent for professional brewers.

They'll be able to provide you much more experience on the commercial side.

Asking amatuers how to do something professionally is begging for misinformation! Go ask those who have actually done it, or are currently doing it!

Primary #1 - Midnight Ryeder (Midnight Wheat and Rye)
Primary #2 - EMPTY!
Primary #3 - EMPTY!
Secondary #1 - Downtown Flanders Brown (brewed August 2012)
Keg #1 - Oktoberfest
Keg #2 - Chamomile Honey Wheat
Keg #3 - Pumpkin Ale
Bottled - NONE!

Old 04-25-2012, 04:02 PM   #4
markm2151
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Consult with an attorney, you're going to need to set up a corporation at the very least (LLC or Corp.)

I ran a quick search at the Colorado Bar Association for lawyers specializing in business law, view the results here: http://www.cobar.org/directory/searc...rchButton2.y=7

Old 04-25-2012, 04:17 PM   #5
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Liked 229 Times on 192 Posts

If you don't know what the costs are to open and operate a brewery, how do you know you almost have the necessary funding?

Old 04-25-2012, 04:32 PM   #6
markm2151
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReverseApacheMaster View Post
If you don't know what the costs are to open and operate a brewery, how do you know you almost have the necessary funding?
This^^

Old 04-26-2012, 12:07 AM   #7
Draygon
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by markm2151 View Post
This^^

Because I know how much it costs for the equipment I need, I know how much it is going to cost me for the building I want, I know how much it is going to cost to brew my beers, I know how much it is going to cost me for construction, and I have $20K left for this stuff...thats how I also have enough to cover me for the first year of rent and utilities to make due until we are in full swing of things, but with my estimates if everything goes even close to as planned we could/should be turning a profit in well under a year, with most financing paid off in 26 months.

I know that the ATF is going to require at least a $1k deposit for tax purposes. Creating a corporation costs nothing initially, its the other things that I wasnt sure about, but I will head over to probrewer and ask there.

Thx.

Primary:Empty
Secondary: Amber Ale
Bottled: B2 Amber, Scottish Ale, Honey B Ale, Cherry Stout, Bourbon Vanilla Porter, Double Chocolate (Milk) Stout, B2 Cream Ale, Amber Cider, Maple syrup dark ale, Pirate Strong Ale, Midas touch clone, Spiced Imperial Stout, Olde Ale

Planned: Milk Stout, Barley Wine

Old 04-26-2012, 12:40 AM   #8
veritas524
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draygon

Because I know how much it costs for the equipment I need, I know how much it is going to cost me for the building I want, I know how much it is going to cost to brew my beers, I know how much it is going to cost me for construction, and I have $20K left for this stuff...thats how I also have enough to cover me for the first year of rent and utilities to make due until we are in full swing of things, but with my estimates if everything goes even close to as planned we could/should be turning a profit in well under a year, with most financing paid off in 26 months.

I know that the ATF is going to require at least a $1k deposit for tax purposes. Creating a corporation costs nothing initially, its the other things that I wasnt sure about, but I will head over to probrewer and ask there.

Thx.
You must have one hell of a business plan setup to turn a profit that fast. Have you looked into the little things that get over looked like zoning and osha requirements? There is also distributing....

Old 04-26-2012, 02:04 AM   #9
infantej
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by markm2151 View Post
Consult with an attorney, you're going to need to set up a corporation at the very least (LLC or Corp.)

I ran a quick search at the Colorado Bar Association for lawyers specializing in business law, view the results here: http://www.cobar.org/directory/searc...rchButton2.y=7
You need a lawyer for more than just setting up the business. I am an attorney and have a focus on the alcoholic beverage industries. If you need more info send me a message.

Old 04-26-2012, 02:21 AM   #10
ACbrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 85 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draygon View Post
I also have enough to cover me for the first year of rent and utilities to make due until we are in full swing of things, but with my estimates if everything goes even close to as planned we could/should be turning a profit in well under a year, with most financing paid off in 26 months.

Thx.
The typical number tossed around for starting a business if 5 years to profit, not one. Granted that is for 'general business' and specific business might go faster or slower. Reading Jamil's blog at byo.com, there is a lot of info about problems that slow them down - like delays on the construction, or permits - effect that 1 year timeline.

Quick Reply