Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Open fermentation

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2012, 04:18 PM   #1
sanibel14
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default Open fermentation

Have any of you guys tried open fermentation with any of your batches? How did it work out? Saint Somewhere Brewing, a brewery that specializes in Belgian style Ales here in Florida, uses this method. It looks pretty cool but I dont understand how it works. How doesnt it get contaminated?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2012, 04:29 PM   #2
jmprdood
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 21 Posts

I haven't snapped a lid on a fermenter in a long time and don't use an airlock. I just set the lid on the bucket and let it do its thing for a couple of weeks, never an issue. While this isn't truly "open" as I have it covered to keep the big stuff out and pitch my own yeast. The CO2 produced makes a protective layer on top of the fermenting beer, no worries about oxidation in the short time it is in primary. Beer is tougher than most give it credit for. So this is what you are seeing on a larger scale at the brewery. I'm pretty sure they pitch yeast and don't rely on the wild variety.

Cheers!

If you're stupid, you have to be tough.

Old 06-16-2012, 04:30 PM   #3
BigJay13
Recipes 

I'm doing it right now. If you listen to the brewing network shows, a lot of brewers who do open fermentation still cover the fermenter, they just aren't using an airlock. I have my fermenter covered with aluminum foil. When that yeast is going nothin is going to fall in that fermenter.

Old 06-16-2012, 04:38 PM   #4
Denny
Recipes 

Liked 429 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 513

I've done open fermentation maybe 5 times. I didn't see any advantage to it, so I now use the traditional method.

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Old 06-16-2012, 04:44 PM   #5
tsname
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

My chimay blue clone was open top fermented. I just used some voile fabric to cover the bucket and a bungy cord to secure it. The CO2 and pelicle help protect the fermentation. Time will tell how it turns out

Old 06-16-2012, 08:04 PM   #6
julioardz
Recipes 

Liked 63 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 1

My brew kettle doesn't fit in my compact fermenting fridge, but once the temperature is right so that I can ferment at ambient temperatures, I plan to pitch yeast straight into the brew kettle once the wort has cooled. I'll put the pot lid on and let it sit until it's done fermenting. I don't know why I've never done it that way before. I guess I just learned to brew one way and have stuck to that. I have left the lid resting on my bucket without snapping it on. All I do is plug up the the airlock hole. I've never been overly concerned about contamination. My 3 year old brewing buddy is very curious, so the hardest part is keeping his grimy hands out of the bucket. He may confuse krausen for bath time bubbles, so who's to know what he would do in there.

Old 06-16-2012, 08:46 PM   #7
mux
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 23

I did a ESB open. I think some wild yeast got in there.

Old 12-06-2012, 10:20 PM   #8
JKaranka
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I've been reading Graham Wheeler's "Brew your own British real ale" and it recommends using open fermenters like commercial breweries do. It literally says that beer needs little protection if any, and that some yeasts won't perform very well if enclosed.

Quick Reply