Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Ooops! ran out of propane

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2013, 03:34 PM   #1
powderbock
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Ooops! ran out of propane

So as i was settling into my brew session last night, with 4 partially filled tanks thinking I could easily make it through, I ran out. Luckily just finished collecting the wort and ran out starting into the boil. And yes already smacked my yeast packs.
Any concerns finishing the boil today? I wouldn't think so except for maybe the yeast, as will boil away any nasties that may have got into the wort. The packs look like they are ready to burst, so I'm not overly concerned that they have been affected either. Just wondering if anyone has done a split batch like this before. After smacking the yeast pack.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2013, 03:50 PM   #2
fixitoscar
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Since you were able to get things boiling for a little while you should be ok. Just don't wait too long to get things going again. The yeast are eating the extra stuff in the smack pack and are producing co2. I wonder if anyone has had one explode from smacking it and letting it sit unopened before. If it was me I would sanitize a covered container and the unopened yeast packs to contain them. that way if they pop you don't loose out on any yeast.

Old 07-19-2013, 03:52 PM   #3
zzARzz
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I had the same thing happen to me while in the middle of a boil. I ran out and got a new tank so it was only left for about 30 minutes rather than overnight, but the beer turned out just fine.

As a precaution you could put your smack packs back in the fridge just to slow down the yeast a bit and pull them out when you start your boil to get them back to around room temp. The smack packs are built well enough that I don't think they would explode, but you never know.

Old 07-19-2013, 04:06 PM   #4
powderbock
Recipes 

Thought about putting them in the fridge, but didn't know how they might be affected by starting to propagate, then crashing them in the fridge, then warming them again, so I put them in the cool basement and have not touched them since Will give them a little shake before I add them.

Old 07-19-2013, 04:27 PM   #5
bleme
Recipes 

Liked 274 Times on 204 Posts
Likes Given: 39

The only reason I can see to have 4 partial tanks around is if you are swapping instead of refilling.

Refill them at U-Haul instead. It will save you money and you will never run out of propane.

Old 07-19-2013, 04:36 PM   #6
firerat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 152

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleme View Post
The only reason I can see to have 4 partial tanks around is if you are swapping instead of refilling.

Refill them at U-Haul instead. It will save you money and you will never run out of propane.
I'm trying to find someone around me that does propane top offs with no luck.

every place around here charges a full $18-20 whether your are empty or just need 1 lb.

It's frustrating. I'd like to be able to go out every brew day and top off.

"I never apologize. I'm sorry but thats just the way I am."--Homer J. Simpson

Old 07-19-2013, 04:39 PM   #7
atom
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 117 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:

around here tractor supply is the cheapest place for a refill. $2.49 a gallon vs $3.99 at uhaul.

Old 07-19-2013, 04:42 PM   #8
chezhed
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:

refilling is not only cheaper but you get more in a tank. Swapped tanks contain on average at least 2 lbs less than you get refilling. I get tanks refilled for $10 at the propane dealer versus an exhange at $18 plus.

Find out the "expiration" date on your tank and write it somewhere on there with a sharpie (easier than translating the code over and over, which is 12 years from the date stamped on the collar as 00 month 00 yr) so you know when it approaches and then swap it before it expires with one with a distant expiration date.

And I have 4 tanks so I don't run out....but one is on a grill, one on an outdoor stove and 2 are for brewing

Green Bay Packers - 13 Time World Champions

Old 07-19-2013, 04:46 PM   #9
501irishred
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:

Agree. If you have a Tractor Supply location near you, they are even cheaper. They sell by the gallon, not pound, and no "rounding up".

Whiskey's too rough, champagne costs too much, vodka puts my mouth in gear
This little refrain should help me explain as a matter of fact I like beer - Tom T Hall

Old 07-19-2013, 04:50 PM   #10
powderbock
Recipes 

Actually am refilling, got lazy. Just changed the BBQ over to Natural gas, so thought I had some in that one for sure and my local propane guy not open at 11 at night.
If only I could get my brewhouse set up with Nat Gas, thats the ticket!
Ultimately have too many tanks, started with 2 and never ran out, then accumulated a couple more and as I said got lazy.

Quick Reply