New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > The only thing worse then one infected batch, is two

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2012, 02:15 AM   #1
Bradinator
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default The only thing worse then one infected batch, is two

So I have been out of the country for two months. Before leaving I made sure to have my carboys filled with home brewed goodness. Apparently a lot can happen in two months.

Of the four batches sitting idly, two became infected with two different types of bateria. The first one was a bravo/falconers IPA... Well I don't have a clue what it is outside of nasty. A nice, semi-translucent layer sitting ontop of the was-beer and some awful looking tile grout. The smell is undeniably like nail polish remover. Undeniably. The smell is so bad I am afraid to even try it. She is toilet bound. What kind of infection is it?

The other batch was a habenero infused stout. This infection is something I think I have seen before, Lactobacillius, but would like a second opinion. The shot is from the mouth of the carboy.

If its a lacto or other friendly bacteria I may let it ride and bottle it for consumption. Could turn into a wicked funky habenero stout.

Any idea what the first one is? Is this second one a lacto and should I bottle give it the benefit of the doubt?

"There is only two ways do to something; The smart way or the hard way."

"Beer is pretty resilient stuff, its resistant to human stupidity"

Bradinator's Brews

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 07:48 PM   #2
Bradinator
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Bumping this for opinions on the infection types.

"There is only two ways do to something; The smart way or the hard way."

"Beer is pretty resilient stuff, its resistant to human stupidity"

Bradinator's Brews

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply