Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > One or two good 6'ers from S.E. coastal USA

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2012, 12:08 AM   #1
MC1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default One or two good 6'ers from S.E. coastal USA

So my brother is traveling to South Carolina, by car, and I figured this would be a good chance to try some hard-to-obtain beers. I'll just have him drive them up to Michigan. Give me your best suggestions, I'm not picky either!

Keep in mind I'll probably only have him purchase two or three 6-packs max.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2012, 12:11 AM   #2
biochemedic
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 77 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Terrapin Brewing is always good, especially if you can find any of the Monster Beer Tour offerings (4 packs).

If you like darker beers, Duck Rabbit has some good stouts and porters.

Secondary: Why do I keep this line here...?
Bulk Aging: Cocobochet
Planned: Hop Metheglin #3 (NZ hops), Trad. Gesho T'ej

Old 02-25-2012, 12:17 AM   #3
weirdboy
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 429 Times on 350 Posts
Likes Given: 60

I was a bit north of there (NC and VA) a few weeks ago and tried as many local beers as I could get my hands on.

Highland Brewing in Asheville had a pretty good stout..I think called Mocha Stout?
Also I had their Oatmeal Porter which I very much enjoyed. Smooth & creamy with a solid roastiness in the background and a dry finish.

There were some beers from this pretty local place to the Charlotte area called Olde Mecklenburg Brewery that seemed to focus on German styles. They had a delicious Dusseldorf Alt called OMB Copper, and also a beautiful Munich Dunkel (I think called "Dunkel Lager" that was my favorite on tap at the bar during my layover in Charlotte.

Old 02-25-2012, 11:01 AM   #4
rustym
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 56

If you like really good IPA's, try "Hoppyum" from Foothills Brewery in Winston-Salem, NC. Also for some good local breweries that have a fairly wide distribution here in SC, try RJ Rockers, Thomas Creek (their "Up the Creek IPA is awesome!), and Westbrook, which also has some really good brews.

I also agree with the Terrapin, their "Hopsecutioner" is great as well as their Rye Pale Ale. Sweetwater's (Atlanta) "Dank Tank" series are good also and they also have a pretty good IPA, "420".

Old 02-25-2012, 11:17 AM   #5
Clann
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Highland brewing Gaelic ale, and Sweetwater make great beers. The 420 pale ale is what I have in the fridge right now. The IPA is very tasty as well.

Back Nine Brew&Wine
Life don't get better than a beer and a pepper.
What I am brewing is now a mystery

Old 02-25-2012, 01:14 PM   #6
jaynik
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I agree with Thomas Creek. Small brewery, but pretty cool. If he can stand to drive a few hours south, there's Sweetwater in Georgia!

Old 02-25-2012, 05:27 PM   #7
Student7
Recipes 

Sweetwater IPA is one of my favorite beers - maltly and sweeter than most IPA's and very well balanced with tons of fresh hop flavors. It's from Atlanta but it's widely distributed so should be able to pick some up in SC. I've tried a few of the other Sweetwater brews and didn't care as much for them - OK but nothing special. I agree the Highland beers are good as well.

Old 02-25-2012, 05:35 PM   #8
gstrawn
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 16 Posts

Terrapin is a great brewery, and they have some really interesting beers. I'd recommend a rye squared. Also sweetwater is a good brewery and I really enjoy their ipa, although its not anything that'll blow you away. A bomber of fresh sticky nugs from sweetwater is great if you can find it

Old 02-25-2012, 09:12 PM   #9
biochemedic

Recipes 

Liked 77 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdboy View Post
There were some beers from this pretty local place to the Charlotte area called Olde Mecklenburg Brewery that seemed to focus on German styles. They had a delicious Dusseldorf Alt called OMB Copper, and also a beautiful Munich Dunkel (I think called "Dunkel Lager" that was my favorite on tap at the bar during my layover in Charlotte.
You know, I had thought of mentioning this concept in my prior post...if your brother will be driving through Charlotte, there are a couple of options for picking up growlers. Old Meck, is, as noted, all German styles, and they are pretty much rheinheitsgebot. There are, however, also two brand new small breweries in Charlotte, literally across the street from each other. Both sell growlers, but neither of them package otherwise (yet) at this point. The first is Noda Brewing, and the other is Birdsong Brewing. Both are really worthy; Noda especially has some real standouts including Coco Loco (chocolate coconut stout) and Noda-rye-zed (a double RyePA).
Secondary: Why do I keep this line here...?
Bulk Aging: Cocobochet
Planned: Hop Metheglin #3 (NZ hops), Trad. Gesho T'ej

Old 02-29-2012, 01:16 AM   #10
MC1
Recipes 

Thank you all for the great suggestions, I'll be sure to give him a list and wait to see what he turns up with!

Quick Reply