New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > It was one of *those* brew days

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2010, 12:02 AM   #1
japhroaig
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default It was one of *those* brew days

First, my electronic thermometer must have a damaged probe, since it told me to mash in 15F too low. Then, while fixing the temp issue I discovered two small leaks in the plumbing. The a nice-to-have-but-non-essential hose line separated. Then I missed my efficiency by a lot. Then the dog knocked a hose from the wort chiller into the propane burner. Then the pump got clogged while transferring to the conical.

I've never had so many problems in one session that didn't result in a batch being tossed. But, we (me and the wort) made it. Thank god I didn't have a boil over, cause that would have sent me into a serious rage

On the plus side I learned how to RIMS with a propane burner with zero planning (though it was far from fun).

Team Nottingham Yeast!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2010, 12:43 AM   #2
EO74

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Its nice to know im not the only one that s#*t happens to u know the rule RDWHAHB

Old 07-13-2010, 12:46 AM   #3
JOHN51277

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 5 Posts

Beer happens!!!

On Deck: Centennial Blonde, Midnight IIPA
Primary: SMaSH Citra/2 Row, KBS Clone
Secondary: ???
Kegged:
Bottled: Gulf Oil Spill Stout, Breakfast Stout, Amarillo SMaSH, Orange Wit, RIPA Oak/Bourbon Aged, Barleywine, Apfelwein,

Old 07-13-2010, 12:53 AM   #4
japhroaig
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Beer certainly does happen, and as I reflect I actually learned a few valuable lessons.

First, if the pump isn't working right, there is probably a small air leak somewhere. I had at least two that didn't drip due to the direction the liquid was passing, but could still suck air. This makes March pumps angry.

Second, this reinforced my attitude of having a backup plan for *everything*. Always have more hose than you need, always have more clamps, and *always* keep your screw driver in your pocket (but don't forget you put it there, doh!)

Last, always have an extra mop

Team Nottingham Yeast!

Old 07-13-2010, 12:58 AM   #5
strat_thru_marshall
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 32

The on-the-fly problem solving that occurs on brew day is the best and worst part of it!!!!! Sounds like everything turned out ok, on its way to being beer.

Old 07-14-2010, 12:24 AM   #6
japhroaig
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Due to the problems I had yesterday, it motivated me to fix my plumbing. So, off to Home Depot to spend a small amount of money. I procured CPVC pipe, ball valves, and fittings. I didn't get quite as many elbows I ended up needing, but that is easily fixed. I've don't some pretty extensive testing with dry runs (wet runs? eww...) and no air leaks, no liquid leaks, and it feels solid. I don't have the final attachments I'm gonna use to secure it since I want to make damn sure everything is kosher, but besides that and a few things to improve the consistency of the look, i'm satisfied so far.

Left most valve is for filling the mash tun, middle valve is a general purpose output used for collecting wort and filling the conicals, and the right most valve is for filling the spage water tank. The brass valve is a temporary dummy valve.

Team Nottingham Yeast!

Quick Reply