Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > one month and beer hasn't carbonated

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2012, 11:33 PM   #1
Jon112
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default one month and beer hasn't carbonated

Its been a month since bottling my beer and there is no carbonation. I had it it the secondary for over a month. Im starting to wonder if i should added yeast when bottling. Ive never had this problem.

Im thinking of tossing it unless anyone can give me ideas of how to save it

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2012, 11:36 PM   #2
Stauffbier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1020 Times on 625 Posts
Likes Given: 2713

What type of beer is it? I have a witbier that is 5 weeks in and some bottles aren't carbed up yet. I'm thinking in my case that the priming sugar didn't mix in well enough, because some are carbed and some aren't.. Let it sit another couple of weeks in a warmer place if possible.

Old 01-21-2012, 11:41 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2775 Times on 1659 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

A month in secondary isn't really long enough to need to have added more yeast.

What temp are you storing them at?

The 3 weeks at 70 degrees, that we recommend is the minimum time it takes for average gravity beers to carbonate and condition. Higher grav beers take longer.

Stouts and porters have taken me between 6 and 8 weeks to carb up..I have a 1.090 Belgian strong that took three months to carb up.

Temp and gravity are the two factors that contribute to the time it takes to carb beer. But if a beer's not ready yet, or seems low carbed, and you added the right amount of sugar to it, then it's not stalled, it's just not time yet.

Everything you need to know about carbing and conditioning, can be found here Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning. With emphasis on the word, "patience."

If a beer isn't carbed by "x number of weeks" you just have to give them more time. If you added your sugar, then the beer will carb up eventually, it's really a foolroof process. All beers will carb up eventually. A lot of new brewers think they have to "troubleshoot" a bottling issue, when there really is none, the beer knows how to carb itself. In fact if you run beersmiths carbing calculator, some lower grav beers don't even require additional sugar to reach their minimum level of carbonation. Just time.

I've carbed hundreds of gallons of beer, and never had a beer that wasn't carbed, or under carbed or anything of the sort (Except for a batch where I accidently mixed up lactose or Maltodextrine for priming sugar). Some took awhile, (as I said up to six months) but they ALL eventually carbed.

There would be no need to toss the beer even if it didn't carb up (which it will), you could always add more yeast. rehydrate said yeast in water (or use liquid) in a sanitized container, get a children's medicine dropper with ML gradients like this,

Sanitize it, open beer bottle, suck up slurry into sanitized eyedropper, squirt 1 ml of yeast into bottle, then re-cap. Give the bottles a shake, and then walk away for another 2-3 weeks to give that yeast a chance to do the job.

I wouldn't do it for at least another month though.

But I doubt you'll need to.

No go rinse your mind out with soap for even THINKING about tossing a batch of beer.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-22-2012, 12:30 AM   #4
BradleyBrew
Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I've been wondering about this, at least the yeast issue. When would a brew call for additional yeast at bottling?

Old 01-22-2012, 12:33 AM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2775 Times on 1659 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradleyBrew View Post
I've been wondering about this, at least the yeast issue. When would a brew call for additional yeast at bottling?
A high grav beer like a barleywine where the yeast are tired, or one that has sat in a secondary for 6 months or longer. Though many folks have done up to a year in secondary and not added fresh yeast and still had their beers carb. But under 6 months, it's not needed.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-22-2012, 01:21 AM   #6
badbrew
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

OP, what's the priming sugar quantity? Condition temp?

Old 01-26-2012, 05:05 PM   #7
Jon112
Recipes 

I dont want to toss it thats for sure. I think i will either add more years and/or sugar. I dont want to make bombs tho.

I havent heard of big beers taking longer. This might be the case, its just frustrating. Any other batch i have done usually carbs to some degree after a few weeka

Old 01-26-2012, 05:19 PM   #8
Jon112
Recipes 

Also i assume i shouldnt add more sugar. If it matters im keeping my beer in a old fridge with the power off. It keeps it just above room temp

Old 01-26-2012, 11:11 PM   #9
Stauffbier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1020 Times on 625 Posts
Likes Given: 2713

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon112 View Post
Also i assume i shouldnt add more sugar. If it matters im keeping my beer in a old fridge with the power off. It keeps it just above room temp
You won't need to add more sugar if you used the proper amount of priming sugar. How much did you use? When you say "room temp" what is your room temp? 70f to 75f would be ideal for bottle conditioning. If it's 65f or lower in that fridge it could take a long time. If you warm it up to 70F, and you added enough priming sugar it should carb up. If it doesn't, you can experiment with one bottle and add a tiny bit of yeast with a dropper like Revvy said and see if carbs up. There is also the chance that your caps aren't on properly. I had a problem with some cheap caps once that weren't sealing the bottles and the CO was escaping....

Old 01-27-2012, 11:57 AM   #10
Jon112
Recipes 

Im not sure what the exact temp would be to be honest but its not hot or cold... So room temp.

I think i will ad yeast this weekend with a eye dropper as suggested. The caps are on tight, if they were the problem i would think a few would be carbed up which doeant seem the case.

I wont ad sugar, i didnt think i needed to i just wanted to make sure. I used 3/4 a cup of sugar

Quick Reply