Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > One gallon batches

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2013, 07:43 PM   #1
PackerfaninSanDiego
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 143 Times on 113 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default One gallon batches

What's the love about brewing up only one gallon of beer?

"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?"

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2013, 07:47 PM   #2
OrdinaryAvgGuy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 180 Times on 127 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackerfaninSanDiego View Post
What's the love about brewing up only one gallon of beer?
Psssft... You hear that?

It was the sound of Packerfan opening a can of worms!
People Like This 
Old 02-12-2013, 07:51 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2776 Times on 1660 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

It's called the love of brewing REGARDLESS of the size of the batch. If it's not YOUR cup of tea, then don't worry about it. Let the folks who want to do it, do it, let the folks who want to do mega barrel batches do them too....And YOU just do what you want to do. And don't diss those who might choose to do it....There's a million ways to approach this hobby of ours, and they're all the right way for whomever chooses that path. Let people do what they want to do, and don't judge them....

Noone should have to defend themselves about what they want to brew or justify it to anyone, whether they want to brew 1 gallons batches, or brew a bmc clone. This is supposed to be about having fun. In whatever form it takes. And for some people, that happens to be brewing one gallon batches.

Don't be a troll about it.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

People Like This 
Old 02-12-2013, 07:52 PM   #4
nsrooen

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts

Experimentation. Don't have to worry about creating five gallons of undrinkable swill from one of my crazy ideas.

Old 02-12-2013, 07:59 PM   #5
OrdinaryAvgGuy
Recipes 

Liked 180 Times on 127 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
It's called the love of brewing REGARDLESS of the size of the batch. If it's not YOUR cup of tea, then don't worry about it. Let the folks who want to do it, do it, let the folks who want to do mega barrel batches do them too....And YOU just do what you want to do. And don't diss those who might choose to do it....There's a million ways to approach this hobby of ours, and they're all the right way for whomever chooses that path. Let people do what they want to do, and don't judge them....

Noone should have to defend themselves about what they want to brew or justify it to anyone, whether they want to brew 1 gallons batches, or brew a bmc clone. This is supposed to be about having fun. In whatever form it takes.

Don't be a troll about it.
And that was the sound of the Revmeister laying the smack down!
Gold_Robber Likes This 
Old 02-12-2013, 08:05 PM   #6
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2776 Times on 1660 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

A LOT OF FOLKS brew 1 gallon batches...In fact Brooklyn Brew Works 1 gallon batches has probably done more for getting folks into all grain in the last couple of years then anything else in homebrewing. There's even a book on doing them. So clearly some folks don't happen to wonder about why folks do it.

Lots of people on here do 1 gallon batches, INCLUDING ME ON OCCASSION.

The Basic Brewing folks have been advocating doing one gallon batches for years. INCLUDING BARLEYWINES.

Last month's episode was all about 1 gallon brewing.

Funny no one sneers if someone does a 1 gallon batch of wine, or mead, or apfelwein, but if it's beer folks have to have an opinion...which none of us really care about, so why should they have to justify it?

I would just let this thread die that feed someone's ego who clearly doesn't care.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 02-12-2013, 08:12 PM   #7
ScotBrew
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Once I have a couple more fermenters I might do a few 1 gallon batches over the summer. Simply to have a few bottles of something different to drink and to increase my variety of beers available to drink in the house.

Fermenter 3 - Green Flash IPA Clone
Fermenter 4, 5 & 6 - Empty
Bottled - Kolsch

Old 02-12-2013, 08:17 PM   #8
Nightshade
Recipes 

Liked 191 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 210

I do it because I don't drink enough to justify 5gal batches at home.

Another thing I have noticed is that after brewing 3bbl batches at work multiple times a week it is actually very difficult to scale back to smaller batches like this so it helps refine the brewing process quite a bit. Sure it's easy to build big beers at this scale, but to get the more subtle nuances of flavors takes a different level of thought to accomplish.

Catch the next Triple Barrel Brewcast Broadcasting now 4/1/13 tune in and enjoy
Twitter: @3bblcast

Old 02-12-2013, 08:19 PM   #9
Spc_Scott
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 18

I like doing them because I can usually get my wife in on the process. I usually do the 5 gal multi-batch brew days with a few friends. I sure can't blame her for not wanting to hang out with a bunch of guys in someones garage, but a quick 1 gal brew in our kitchen seems to be more her speed.

Old 02-12-2013, 08:22 PM   #10
ACbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 86 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I read about someone who did small batches because he was in a 500 sqft appartment and couldn't afford any more space. At 1 gallon, you probably have an 8 quart pot to use for your kettle. at 5 gallons, it isn't just a fermentor, but also a large pot, and heat source, etc.

Quick Reply