Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > One Gallon Batches

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2009, 05:49 PM   #1
ZooBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default One Gallon Batches

The few times I've tried to modify a recipe for a one gallon fermenter have been dismal failures. Either too hopped or too malty or not enough or some other reason that makes the effort a drainpour.

Does anyone have any 'rule of thumb' pointers or other advice regarding just doing one gallon batches? I was mainly thinking of some high gravity novelty ales that I'd never begin to drink all 5 gallons or give enough away too justify dumping all that money into the ingredients required.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2009, 06:00 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2768 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Are you using any brewing software? Most of them have auto scaling features that help cut the recipes.

I also found that calculating my hops in grams rather than ounces makes it easier in making small batches.

ANd what batch size are you making...if you are using a 1 gallon jug, you are more than likely using a btch size of 3/4 of a gallon, right?

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 04-10-2009, 06:01 PM   #3
llazy_llama
Recipes 

Liked 67 Times on 27 Posts

Also, how long are you waiting before you pour these out? If you think a beer is to hoppy, time tends to mellow that out.

Also, if you tell me that you've been pouring these out after only a few weeks in bottles, I might just blow a gasket.

Old 04-10-2009, 07:26 PM   #4
ZooBrew
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I've kept some examples around for 8 months with my fingers crossed but that still didn't help. The one gallon batches are done in a 3 gal carboy. Where would I find that 'auto-scaling feature' in BEERSMITH?

Old 04-10-2009, 07:34 PM   #5
chumprock
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZooBrew View Post
I've kept some examples around for 8 months with my fingers crossed but that still didn't help. The one gallon batches are done in a 3 gal carboy. Where would I find that 'auto-scaling feature' in BEERSMITH?
There should be a button that says 'scale', otherwise its on the actions pulldown.

Old 04-10-2009, 07:40 PM   #6
Revvy

Recipes 

Hopefully you can make it out...it's circled in red.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 04-10-2009, 08:00 PM   #7
ZooBrew
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Ah! Thanks Revvy. I'm headed to the LHBS for some ingredients to try this feature out.

Thanx again!

Old 04-10-2009, 09:47 PM   #8
MacBruver
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

One thing to remember is that the smaller the batch is, the less forgiving it's going to be on ingredients.... if you're using 3 gallon carboys, you might want to try to step it up to 2 gallon batches. I'm betting that you'll have more success doing that, and the additional cost won't be too huge.

Old 04-10-2009, 09:51 PM   #9
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBruver View Post
One thing to remember is that the smaller the batch is, the less forgiving it's going to be on ingredients.... if you're using 3 gallon carboys, you might want to try to step it up to 2 gallon batches. I'm betting that you'll have more success doing that, and the additional cost won't be too huge.
Mac's right...I missed the 3 gallon carboy part..that's alos a lot of headsapce..you might want to consider doing 2.5 gallon batches in your 3 gallon fermenters.

I do quite a lot of them.

Old 04-10-2009, 11:05 PM   #10
Matt Up North
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I personally don't think that you will lose anything from that amount of headspace though. I ferment 5 gallon batches just fine in a 15 gallon sanke keg.

Quick Reply