Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > One dumped beer after another

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2013, 02:11 PM   #1
maltoftheearth
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Default One dumped beer after another

I have brewed 50 plus beers prior to this year, lots of highs and lows but getting much more consistent and the overall product getting much better. Until this summer:

Porter - mashed the dark grains too long and got a puckeringly astringent beer. Undrinkable, can't even mix it with anything.

Imperial Stout - stuck fermentation at 1.035, first time this has ever happened. Dropped in beano and it dropped to 1.020, I'll be heating it to 135 for 15 minutes today in order to render the enzymes inert. It currently has little flavor, I think due to the continued fermentation, so if it is at all passable I am pumping it through a hop rocket with coffee beans and cocoa nibs. I am not too hopeful of this turning-out well.

Saison - tastes sour and yeasty, possibly infected or possibly too much exposure to oxygen. I am letting set in the keg another couple of weeks before committing to dumping it.

Ballantine IPA clone - from pp 240 of Mitch Steele's IPA Book. Where it instructs the reader to add .2 oz of gypsum per gallon ... Don't do it. My $35 of ingredients brewed a bitter beer that causes diarrhea. I'll share the responsibility with Mr. Steele for this one, he should have proofread his book and I should have looked at what others have done with gypsum in their recipes.

Argh!

Wait, one more! I brewed a Belgian Wit Ipa with Galaxy hops two weeks ago, damn it smelled good. Walked away from the wort transferring into the carboy so I could clean something outside. Walked back in to see 2 gallons of wort streaming down my kitchen floor at me.

Kegged (as of 5/14): Rye IPA, Honey Sage Ale, Belgian Golden Strong, California Common, Bavarian Style Lager, Weizen, Coffee Stout

Long range forecast: Douze clone, Gruit

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2013, 02:33 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4261 Times on 3104 Posts
Likes Given: 811

Oh, that sucks! I've had some "not great" things happen recently, but haven't had a dumper since the band-aid beer of about a year ago.

I need to get brewing, though, as I"m down to only two taps and 10 gallons in fermenters and that will go quick!

Newsman Likes This 
Old 09-08-2013, 02:34 PM   #3
Phunhog
Recipes 

Liked 138 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 66

thats a bummer. It sounds like each beer has a different issue. Are you making sure your process is the same everytime? I know when I brew EVERYTHING is the same...it has gotten to the point that I am almost on auto-pilot through the entire process.

Check out my nanobrewery!
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Two...02323289804018

People Like This 
Old 09-08-2013, 02:37 PM   #4
dmashl
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts

Agree with Phunhog here, the process has to be the same no matter what beer you are making. Only thing that changes is the ingredients. usually make beers that are about the same gravity.

Old 09-08-2013, 02:41 PM   #5
maltoftheearth
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phunhog View Post
thats a bummer. It sounds like each beer has a different issue. Are you making sure your process is the same everytime? I know when I brew EVERYTHING is the same...it has gotten to the point that I am almost on auto-pilot through the entire process.
It is the same every time but I started using dry yeast in my last two batches to avoid having to do a starter and aerate my wort. Am hoping that clears up some off flavors that I associate with recent batches. At some point my LHBS switched to white labs from wyeast and my attenuation tanked even hough I do a starter for both.

Kegged (as of 5/14): Rye IPA, Honey Sage Ale, Belgian Golden Strong, California Common, Bavarian Style Lager, Weizen, Coffee Stout

Old 09-08-2013, 02:50 PM   #6
shelly_belly
Easy Wind
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Gelatin works great for removing astringency. You can use multiple doses.

Old 09-08-2013, 02:52 PM   #7
R2D2
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Wish you were closer (I live in Charlotte). It always helps to have a second set of eyes watch and maybe identify any issues. I've made some dumpers in the distant past and have had some off flavors. But seem to be well beyond that point now.

To get rid of off flavors EVERYTHING was disassembled and immaculately cleaned.
Turned out there was some rotten grain stuck in a pump.

Old 09-08-2013, 03:41 PM   #8
maltoftheearth
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Yeah, I just disassembled the CO2 lines and distributor for my keg and cleaned everything. Washed out my freezers with clorox. Am trying to limit my exposure to risk.

Old 09-08-2013, 03:45 PM   #9
bleme
Recipes 

Liked 270 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by maltoftheearth

It is the same every time but I started using dry yeast in my last two batches to avoid having to do a starter and aerate my wort.
You still need to aerate with dry yeast.
Old 09-08-2013, 04:56 PM   #10
Clonefan94
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 181 Times on 121 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleme View Post
You still need to aerate with dry yeast.
Just getting ready to post this. The yeast still need a good environment to reproduce in, you just don't need to make a starter. Also, if you are building high gravity beers, you might want to check that you are adding enough yeast. From what I've read on here, one 11.5g packet of yeast is only good for average gravity 5 gallon brews. So, you still have to look at your pitching rates.

Untappd Username: Clonefan94

Quick Reply