Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > One bottle cap doesn't fit all?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2012, 02:35 AM   #1
signpost
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 443

Default One bottle cap doesn't fit all?

So, I was bottling a batch the other day (my Signpost Edge the Belgique). I put about half of the batch in bombers. I used a bunch of the Dogfish Head bottles (from My Antonia and others with that same bottle style) and I had one 750 mL bottle from La Chouffe (I tried it after finding out the yeast I used for this batch is the same yeast they use - Wyeast 3522 Belgian Ardennes). I got going with filling the bottles. When I had the big bottles filled, I switched from filling to capping. The Dogfish Head bottles worked just fine. I knew they would, because I had used a couple of them before.

But then I tried capping the La Chouffe bottle. The top of the bottle was bigger than the cap. It just flat out didn't fit. I ended up gently pouring that bottle back into the bottling bucket. I had my wife tip the bucket to the side, so I could pour down the side of the bucket to avoid splashing. So, no worries about the bottling session. It went smoothly as I then put the rest of the batch in 11.2 oz bottles from Hacker Pschorr Octoberfest (from which the labels fell as if they were allergic to the hot water I soaked them in as I prepped for the bottling session).

Is there a different size bottle cap that would fit this bottle? Or does La Chouffe magically stretch out regular bottle caps to fit their bottles?

I distinctly remember it being a bottle cap and not a cork, and the pictures on their website confirm that.

Is there a way I can still use this bottle at some point?

Bottled - a sour mashed Berliner Weisse; Cascade Pale Ale; Hop Wine - an Imperial India Pilsner Ale; Guajillo Ancho Brown Ale; Back To School Porter, an Imperial Robust Porter with vanilla beans added

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2012, 02:41 AM   #2
pdxal
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 131

Some European bottles take a bigger cap, you can buy the caps to use for these bottles in at least some LHBS. I think they're 29mm.

Old 10-08-2012, 02:43 AM   #3
Malstorme
Yeast-herder
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxal View Post
Some European bottles take a bigger cap, you can buy the caps to use for these bottles in at least some LHBS. I think they're 29mm.
You'll need to make sure your capper will accomodate the larger caps as well. Some do, some don't...

Mals

Old 10-08-2012, 02:45 AM   #4
signpost
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 443

Ah.

I must admit. I was hoping they did it magically. I mean, they do have the gnomes.

Bottled - a sour mashed Berliner Weisse; Cascade Pale Ale; Hop Wine - an Imperial India Pilsner Ale; Guajillo Ancho Brown Ale; Back To School Porter, an Imperial Robust Porter with vanilla beans added

Old 10-08-2012, 02:45 AM   #5
hogwash
Minimally Exceptional
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 16

They are 29mm caps (as pdxal said) as opposed to the "normal" 26mm caps. You'll need a bigger bell for your capper to use them.

Old 10-08-2012, 02:46 AM   #6
JimTheHick
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

If you have the red baron or other bell capper you can buy the larger diameter bell for the Euro caps. That metal bell just unscrews and you screw the other metal bell back on.

It's kind of a PITA and I'm slowing giving away all my Euro cap bottles.

Quick Reply