Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Ommegang Brewery Belgians, part of Duvel

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2009, 03:09 PM   #1
BrewinDuluth
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Ommegang Brewery Belgians, part of Duvel

In my continuous quest to try new beers, I stumbled upon a group of 1 Pint corked Belgian beers by Ommegang Brewery out of Cooperstown, NY. I saw on the label that they're part of the Duvel family of fine ales (one of my favorite beers). My favorite so far has been a Belgian quadrupel called "Three Philosophers". I've also tried their Witte and Belgian Dubbel Abbey Ale. Has anyone else had the opportunity to try these?

• Bottled: Scotch Oak Porter
  • Bottled:(for the last 4 months..be strong) Belgian Tripel
  • In the works: Cherrywood smoked orange blossom honey belgian yeast super experiment
  • Drinking: Jameson Whiskey

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2009, 03:56 PM   #2
Ichi-Go
Recipes 

I just ordered a three philosophers at my local liquor store and look forward to trying it.

To read reviews and critiques of beers check out beeradvocate.com. I dont know if you knew about it already but I think everybody that loves good beer should be familiar with that site.

Primary: Bavarian Hefe, American Amber
Secondary 1: Bavarian Apple cider/apfelwein
Drinking: SNPA Extract Clone, Red ale. Wannabe IPA, Apple/blueberry/pomegranate/rasberry/white grape.... cider

Old 04-05-2009, 04:00 PM   #3
carnevoodoo
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I've had their Abbey Ale, Rare Vos, Hennepin, Three Philosophers, Witte, Ommegeddon, Chocolate Indulgence, and their Triple. Omegeddon is my favorite. I didn't like Chocolate Indulgence at all.

The rest of it is pretty good. They make good examples of the styles they're making for sure. I wouldn't be disappointed with any of it.

Old 04-05-2009, 04:03 PM   #4
SowegaBrews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Their Abbey Ale was one of my favorites for awhile. Three Philosophers is good also, but I'd put it behind their Hennepin.

Old 04-05-2009, 04:07 PM   #5
Edcculus
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 37 Posts

I love all of their beer. Hennepin is one of my favorite Saisons. They are really the best of both worlds. Good Belgain style beer, good price, and much fresher than an import.

Old 04-05-2009, 04:08 PM   #6
Nurmey
I love making Beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Three Philosophers is hubby's all time favorite beer. I bought him a case once (big bucks $$$) and he hoarded it like it was gold.

We haven't attempted brewing Three Philosophers yet but we have made the Ommegang clone from Austin Homebrew Supply and it turned out so fantastic our taste buds had tiny little orgasms.

Our brew buddy just bought the Chocolate Indulgence clone so we will be brewing that very soon.

Old 04-05-2009, 04:27 PM   #7
SumnerH
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SowegaBrews View Post
Their Abbey Ale was one of my favorites for awhile. Three Philosophers is good also, but I'd put it behind their Hennepin.
I tried the Hennepin 2 weeks ago. I hadn't had a Saison before, so I was pretty excited to give it a go; it turned out to be one of the most boring beers I've tried in quite a while. Vaguely malty/fruity with not much else going on. I'm unable to reconcile what I tasted with reviews I've read elsewhere, so I'll probably give it another go in a few months.

The Three Philosophers is pretty good and widely available (e.g at most grocery stores I go to), so I drink it on a fairly regular basis.

On deck: Little Bo Pils, Bretta Off Dead (Brett pale)
Secondary: Oude Bruin, Red Sky at Morning (Sour brown ale)
On tap: Saison Duphunk (sour), Amarillo Slim (IPA), Earl White (ginger/bergamot wit)
Bottled: Number 8 (Belgian Strong Dark Ale), Eternale (Barleywine), Ancho Villa (Ancho/pasilla/chocolate/cinnamon RIS), Oak smoked porter (1/2 maple bourbon oaked, 1/2 apple brandy oaked)

Old 04-05-2009, 05:20 PM   #8
bierhaus15
Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumnerH View Post
I tried the Hennepin 2 weeks ago. I hadn't had a Saison before, so I was pretty excited to give it a go; it turned out to be one of the most boring beers I've tried in quite a while.
Yeah, when compared to IIPA's and the other over-hopped "imperial" crap so loved by BA fratboys, I'd say Hennepin is boring. Though, for a Saison it's a pretty damn fine beer and one of the best of the style. Give it another shot.

Ommegang also released a "cave-aged" Three Philosophers that was better than the original. I don't know if it's still available, but it is definitely worth seeking out.

Old 04-05-2009, 06:55 PM   #9
dap325
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I was just there not too long ago picking up a few bottles. I don't live too far from the brewery. I too am a big fan of the Hennepin. I like the Rare Vos as well. Ommegang makes a great bottle of beer. My local bar had the "Obamagang" on tap around election time, but it was gone before I got a chance to get there! Popular stuff.

Old 04-05-2009, 08:00 PM   #10
fastricky
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

They are a high quality shop for sure. Highly respected here in NY.

Quick Reply