Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Oldest U.S. Beer Maker, Yuengling, Eyes Expansion

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2010, 04:06 PM   #1
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2774 Times on 1659 Posts
Likes Given: 3486

Default Oldest U.S. Beer Maker, Yuengling, Eyes Expansion

This was reported on Npr this morning.

Quote:
November 15, 2010 from WITF

Click to Listen

When you think American beer, you might think Budweiser, or Miller. But neither of those is American-owned anymore. Like many big-name brews, they've been bought up by overseas companies.

One of the biggest American beer makers is a lesser-known regional beer company, D.G. Yuengling and Son — the country's oldest beer maker. Founded by a German immigrant in Pennsylvania 181 years ago, it's still run by the Yuengling family, and it's still growing.

Although Dick Yuengling (pronounced "ying-ling") has one foot stepping toward the future, the other is rooted firmly in the past. That's evident when the 67-year-old walks into the company's original brewery in downtown Pottsville, Pa.

"It's what I grew up with, and most breweries in the United States that were built like this in this era are all gone; there's only a few left," Yuengling says.

As he walks beneath a maze of black pipes carrying ingredients, Yuengling explains that his company has tried to carve out a niche on the craft beer market.

"There's nothing wrong with the national brands," he says. "We just make beer that is for a select group of people that want to buy a beer at the right price and with good taste and character to it."

Yuengling sells its beer in 13 states across the East and the District of Columbia — and its fifth-generation owner does not foresee a day when Yuengling would become a national brand.

"You don't want to just go out there and throw beer into a marketplace and hope you succeed, because it's a formula for failure, in our opinion," he says.

Despite that mantra, Yuengling has seen dramatic growth in recent decades.

The company bought its second facility — a brewery in Tampa, Fla. — a little more than a decade ago. Then a third — the modern Mill Creek facility in Pennsylvania — went online a couple years later.

Production soared — to 2.2 million barrels last year. The company has signed a letter of intent to buy another brewery in Memphis, Tenn., which could produce another 5 million barrels a year. But Yuengling's chief operating officer says the plan would be to start out slow.

Craig Purser, president and CEO of the National Beer Wholesalers Association, says strategy and discipline have been a constant with the company. Purser says another key to success is the versatility of Yuengling's signature lager.

"You will see it available at a blue-collar working person's bar or restaurant in Pennsylvania's coal country," he says. "Yet you'll also see it as a choice at a white-tablecloth restaurant in Philadelphia."

Purser says Yuengling's well-marketed role as "America's oldest brewery" is certainly part of its consumer appeal.

That sense of nostalgia is not lost on visitors to the historic building in Pottsville, where the smell of roasted grain fills the air and helps tell the company's story.

"It's amazing to see all the history and stuff," says Brad Kramer of Allentown, who toured the brewery recently.

"Ever since I was little, my parents always drank Yuengling. ... Now I do because of them, so they got me hooked on it," he says.

Dick Yuengling is preparing the sixth generation of Yuenglings — his four daughters — to take over the family business.

On the brewery tour, one of the most commonly asked questions is about succession.

"Are any of the daughters married?" asks one visitor.

But Dick Yuengling says he has no plans to retire anytime soon.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2010, 04:24 PM   #2
mlg5039
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I'm from PA. I've been to the brewery on a tour. People in that state drink a lot of damn Yuengling. I like it a lot. It was my staple beer at the bars during college. I consider yuengling my favorite "Light Beer."

It is not certain that everything is uncertain.

Primary:BCS Clone
Secondary:Oud bruin (2), Raspberry melomel
Bottled: Oktoberfest, Imperial Punkin
Kegged: Wild Ale, Dark Mild
Gallons to date 2012: 47

Old 11-15-2010, 04:32 PM   #3
BrewDocND
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I went to undergrad in PA and Yuengling was a nice break from the Beast Light, Natural light, etc. at the frat parties. It's good to see a family business carve out a niche and stay successful for so long. Unfortunately I can't get yingers out here in AZ, but I'm moving back east in July and looking forward to a bottle or two when I arrive.

Kegged- Scottish Heavy (first kegged batch and I didn't f#&% it up!)
Bottled- Belgian Dubbel (Brewing Classic Styles).
Bottled- French Saison (BCS) Bottled March 17.
Belgian Pale with JP dregs Bottled Feb 3.
Dumped- 1.5 gallons Dubbel on orval/JP dregs colonized by fruit flies :(

Old 11-15-2010, 04:35 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2774 Times on 1659 Posts
Likes Given: 3486

I've never tried any, it hasn't made it to the Detroit area. But I'm looking forward to the expansion so hopefully stuff will come our way. Not only is it the true Oldest American Brewery, but it is one of the few regional breweries that has survived the 80's and the 2,000's takeovers, and managed to hold it's own against the BMC's.....I've give them kudos!

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-15-2010, 04:37 PM   #5
snowveil
that guy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Also from PA here and Yuengling is so popular around this area that it has come synonymous with "lager." If you're ordering at a bar, and you ask for a lager, that is what you get. Yuengling.

It's definitely a step in the more flavorful direction from the standard BMC fare and it'd be great to see them expand distribution a bit.

Old 11-15-2010, 04:38 PM   #6
tnvol
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I really like Yuengling. I buy it whenever I see it.

Old 11-15-2010, 04:49 PM   #7
Hartski
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

The Double Chocolate Stout is awesome.

Addicted to golf

Old 11-15-2010, 04:50 PM   #8
BrookdaleBrew
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I will gladly drink a Yuengling over BMC but their beers don't really stand out to me. They fall somewhere below Sam Adams and above BMC in my book. I think their lager (an amber) is a great gateway beer for those wanting to move beyond your typical light american lagers.

Old 11-15-2010, 04:57 PM   #9
HopheadNJ
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartski View Post
The Double Chocolate Stout is awesome.
You must be thinking Young's...

Old 11-15-2010, 05:01 PM   #10
cruckin78
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Yuengling is my fav "big name lager beer"

Also their Black and Tan is FAN ****IN TASTIC!

Excessive Hoppyness Brewing
Tap 1: Falling Leaf Oktoberfest Ale
Tap 2:Kickback Chcoclate Stout
Kegged:Cold Night Winter Warmer
Primary 1: American Amber Ale
Primary 2: American Amber Ale
Primary 3:
Coming up:
Bottled:nothing :(

Excessive Hoppyness Brew Pub
Beer Reviews, and Brewery Updates!
www.excessivehoppyness.blogspot.com <----NEW REVIEWS ADDED!

Quick Reply