New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > old yeast...underpitched?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2011, 02:07 PM   #1
bguzz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default old yeast...underpitched?

I just brewed up a 5 gallon batch of Janet's Brown ale and had an OG of 1.065.

I thought I would try using the Smackpack Wyeast Pacman from Rogue that I got a couple months ago. I didn't realize it was actually really old. It was a limited release made available January though March of 2010 so it could actually be year old!

I did a 2 liter starter on a stirplate, and it fermented out like normal...though I will have to say that when I cold crashed it, there wasn't a ton of yeast on the bottom, and it looked nice an creamy white.

I've never pitched yeast this old...or I guess since I did a starter with it, this little. Any ideas of what I can expect? I usually pitch a really good amount of healthy yeast. I guess it isn't so much old yeast as it is a small amount?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2011, 02:13 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2657 Times on 1602 Posts
Likes Given: 3446

That's hardly "old Yeast" especially since you made a starter. If you make a starter, then the age of a yeast isn't really an issue.

Bobby M did a test on year old stored yeast here; http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/testing-limits-yeast-viability-126707/

And my LHBS cells outdated tubes and packs of yeast dirt cheap 2-3 dollars each and I usually grab a couple tubes of belgian or other interesting yeast when I am there and shove it in my fridge. and I have never had a problem with one of those tubes.

I usually make a starter but I once pitched a year old tube of Belgian High Gravity yeast directly into a 2.5 gallon batch of a Belgian Dark Strong, and after about 4 days it took off beautifully.
The purpose of a starter is to reproduce any viable cells in a batch of yeast....that;s how we can grow a starter form the dregs in a bottle of beer incrementally...and that beer may be months old.

Even if you have a few still living cells, you can grow them....That's how we can harvest a huge starter (incrementally) from the dregs in a bottle of some commercial beers. You take those few living cells and grow them into more.

You did the right thing. I think you will be fine.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 02-19-2011, 08:16 PM   #3
chemman14
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 65

That is a delicious beer!!! Loved it the first time I brewed it. Cant wait to brew it again as an all grain recipe.

Old 02-23-2011, 02:13 AM   #4
bguzz
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Well, I guess Pacman is some pretty serious yeast. 4 days later at 62F it fermented down to 1.015...right on target.

Quick Reply