Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Okay, stop hounding me, I'll enter it...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2007, 02:43 PM   #11
KopyKat
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
DON'T ENTER COMPS! THEY'RE A WASTE OF TIME! But, look, I've never done it before, and I figure, why the hell not just try once? So, having preempted it, does anyone have any advice other than that?
I have never heard that competitions are a waste of time. I entered my first competition last year with three beers and won second place for a porter I made. I had only been brewing for a few months. The feedback for all three was valuable and worth entering even if I had not won anything.

Primary: Belgian Blonde (for cask)
Drinking: Robust Porter
Up Next: Christmas Ale, SNPA, Simcoe IPA

AustinZealots.com
Home of the Austin Zealot's Inquisition

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2007, 03:12 PM   #12
Flyin' Lion

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by knipknup
Dood (not to be confused with 'Dude'), how do you even say that name???
Knipknup, I read it like this: ahm nish ent oh mar. Any help?

Oh and Evan!, I say go for it. You have plenty of beer on hand--so nothing to lose, right.

Old 03-15-2007, 03:15 PM   #13
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 367 Times on 303 Posts
Likes Given: 97

I've only had a chance to sample a couple of the beers in that batch that you sent me, Evan!, but both were great. The smoked porter, especially, I thought was outstanding. So yeah, send a couple bottles in.

I'd shoot a couple bottles at the Longshot competition, as well; why not? I'd probably send them whatever you have that's good and somewhat unusual - note that they didn't have an APA or IPA or anything else that's pretty common in this year's batch. I doubt they'll pick another old ale, but if you have a beer that's a little bit off the beaten path, I'd send it in to them.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 03-15-2007, 03:17 PM   #14
Pumbaa
I prefer 23383

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Go big or go home, enter it in the Longshot by Sam Adams

Old 03-15-2007, 03:22 PM   #15
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

Liked 367 Times on 303 Posts
Likes Given: 97

Incidentally, did anybody hear the interview that James Spencer (Basic Brewing Radio) did with the Sam Adams employee winner? The guy who did the Boysenberry Wheat?

Basically, his entire recipe was wheat DME, boysenberry extract from the HBS, a hefe yeast, and I can't remember his hops. Nothing complicated at all, barely even a recipe, really. No speciality grains ("teabagging," as he called it). He brews once a year, for the contest; very strange hearing someone talk about homebrewing as if it's only an annual thing ("I'm trying to figure out what I will brew this year").

Just.... strange...

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 03-16-2007, 06:02 PM   #16
Flyin' Lion

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird

Incidentally, did anybody hear the interview that James Spencer (Basic Brewing Radio) did with the Sam Adams employee winner? The guy who did the Boysenberry Wheat?

Basically, his entire recipe was wheat DME, boysenberry extract from the HBS, a hefe yeast, and I can't remember his hops. Nothing complicated at all, barely even a recipe, really. No speciality grains ("teabagging," as he called it). He brews once a year, for the contest; very strange hearing someone talk about homebrewing as if it's only an annual thing ("I'm trying to figure out what I will brew this year").

Just.... strange...

Bird, my homebrew club was discussing the longshot contest Wednesday and we were told that the "simple" recipes are what Sam Adams is looking for. Basically they want recipes that they can do on a large scale, that is going to exclude a lot of fancy recipes.

So Evan! if you have something simple and good, my advice is to enter that.

Quick Reply