Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > OK, I'll admit it. I will probably never brew an IPA.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2010, 12:52 AM   #1
heywolfie1015
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default OK, I'll admit it. I will probably never brew an IPA.

In my time brewing, I have not once been tempted to make an IPA. Now, don't get me wrong. Sometimes when I'm out, I see an IPA or IIPA on the beer menu and it just hits the spot. (Not often, bu occasionally.) But when I think of what I want every day when I get home from work, an IPA just ain't it. APAs and relatively hoppy beers are definitely in my rotation, but no one could accuse me of being a hophead brewer.

Anybody else in the same camp? I understand the hop love, but it's just not me.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2010, 12:55 AM   #2
LambChop4Prez
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Not quite the same with IPAs, but I am not a fan of hefes and lagers. But hey, to each his own. We all got into the hobbie for the same reason, to make beer we like to drink and have a good variety in what we drink.

Old 07-11-2010, 12:58 AM   #3
SumnerH
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Never say never. I'm not really a hop head, but I go through all kinds of phases. For the past couple of months I've rotated through a few different IPAs (Fuggles, Centennial, next up Amarillo) along with my usual assortment of Belgians, malty Scottish brews, stouts, etc.

On deck: Little Bo Pils, Bretta Off Dead (Brett pale)
Secondary: Oude Bruin, Red Sky at Morning (Sour brown ale)
On tap: Saison Duphunk (sour), Amarillo Slim (IPA), Earl White (ginger/bergamot wit)
Bottled: Number 8 (Belgian Strong Dark Ale), Eternale (Barleywine), Ancho Villa (Ancho/pasilla/chocolate/cinnamon RIS), Oak smoked porter (1/2 maple bourbon oaked, 1/2 apple brandy oaked)

Old 07-11-2010, 01:01 AM   #4
Pommy
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Id never had an American IPA before I made my own recipe to try it out. Its one of my best beers to date and makes a nice change to my English Bitter or Dry Stouts etc. I will definitely be making more in the future, just been playing around with a CDA (or whatever you prefer to call it) this morning. If you hardly ever are in the mood for an IPA then brewing one might not be worthwhile since the flavours will mellow reasonably quickly, however maybe you would prefer it then? Anyway, if your going to spend your time and hard earned money brewing beer you want to drink then you want something you enjoy. I just love beer so I am making everything I can think of.

Old 07-11-2010, 01:12 AM   #5
heywolfie1015
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I've certainly come to appreciate hops a whole lot more since beginning homebrewing, but I just find IPAs a bit much. Do people find them refreshing, or just love the flavor of hops?

A good APA, though...hot damn. I'm planning on brewing the Can You Brew It Pale 31 clone in the next few weeks. That has to be one of the best beers I've ever had.

Old 07-11-2010, 01:48 AM   #6
Laughing_Gnome_Invisible
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 531 Times on 404 Posts
Likes Given: 76

A lot of people like American IPAs, and that's fine, everyone to their own tastes. It seems to be coming to a point though where people feel they need to apologise for not liking hop bombs. More hops does not make a beer better, it just makes it hoppier.

When i started brewing I always thought i would expand my horizons from bitter to all the other stuff. It still hasn't happened. I'll keep tinkering with my bitter recipes, and if I feel the need for something different once in a while, I'll just buy a commercial (For now at least)

Old 07-11-2010, 01:57 AM   #7
Baldy_Beer_Brewery
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I guess that's why this hobby is so swuft. If you don't want to brew an IPA, you don't have too. Next year there will be another beer that will seem that everyone is brewing. A while back it was RIS (which I felt the same way you do about IPAs). I believe the best part about this hobby is that we can brew what we want pretty much when we want.

Old 07-11-2010, 02:29 AM   #8
Teromous
Beer Gnome
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 342 Times on 194 Posts
Likes Given: 52

I'm in the same boat as you. I do enjoy a good IPA/IIPA but it's not what I drink the most of. I brew what moves the fastest. I might end up making a small batch to supplement those times when I do get an IPA craving though...they can get expensive!

Old 07-11-2010, 02:35 AM   #9
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 432 Times on 353 Posts
Likes Given: 60

I used to be like that. I can still remember the first time someone gave me an IPA to drink. I thought it was nasty and couldn't understand how anyone would enjoy drinking something that bitter. But somehow I have come around to liking the hoppy beverages. I think it just takes some palette training.

In fact a female friend of mine who used to drink almost exclusively witbiers and the like (and got my wife drinking them as well) has now slowly come around and enjoys the hoppier pale ales and IPAs. Hopefully my wife will follow suit as well, since I really enjoy a good IPA at the end of a tough day.

Old 07-11-2010, 02:38 AM   #10
Laughing_Gnome_Invisible
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 531 Times on 404 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdboy View Post
I used to be like that. But somehow I have come around to liking the hoppy beverages. I think it just takes some palette training..
See? Palette training? That implies that hoppier beers are better and that a poor palette can't enjoy the superior brew....It's all just a matter of personal taste, really. No training required.

Quick Reply