Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > is this ok - (fermentation worries)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2009, 10:20 PM   #1
Kendo2gz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default is this ok - (fermentation worries)

i am going to take a hydrometer reading on day 2 or day 3 of fermentation i was considering adding a yeast neutrient because the brew only bubbled in the fermenter for about 35 hrs. is that a mistake

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2009, 10:29 PM   #2
bierhaus15
Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Some fermentations start and end faster than others, sometimes 1-2 days. However, this does not mean the yeast are done. Wait AT LEAST a full week before you take your hydrometer readings. If after a week and your hydro reading is still far to high, then there are other things you can do to get the gravity down.

Old 01-02-2009, 10:47 PM   #3
Jamo99
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Definately wait at least a week before taking a hydrometer reading. Personally, I would wait 2 or 3 weeks before checking.

Yeast nutrient is typically added to the boil with 15 minutes reamining. Save your nutrient for your next brew.

Old 01-02-2009, 10:49 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2728 Times on 1636 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

The only true"Signs of fermentation" come from your hydrometer, NOT AIRLOCK BUBBLING!!!

over 50% of my beers never have a bubble, it is normal actually for some not to bubble...

That's why we say you should never use a cheap chinese plastic airlock as a "fermentation Gauge," it's not...It's an airlock, nothing more, a VALVE to release excess CO2, to keep from blowing the lid off the fermentor...If it's not bubbling that just means that there's not enough CO2 to climb out of the airlock, or the CO2 is just forming a nice cushion on top of the beer like it's supposed to, or the airlock is askew, or it is leaking out the cheap rubber grommet, or you have a leak in the bucket seal...all those are fine...if CO2 is getting out then nothing's getting in....

That's why we recommend to new brewers to use their hydrometers, not their eyes. I believe MOST of the new brewer's "stuck fermentation threads are not, stuk, they are using the airlock as a "gauge" rather than checking gravity.

I have found that oldschool S types seem more reliable than the 3 piece to actually bubble. I think maybe co2 isn't always heavy enough to push up that plastic piece in the center of the 3 piece.

Read this...

http://blogs.homebrewtalk.com/Revvy/Think_evaluation_before_action/

Your beer is fine...just walk away for 10 days minimum then take a hydro reading...

Don't "fix" something that probably ain't broken...in other words don't add anything to your beer...take a hydro after 10 days...

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-02-2009, 10:49 PM   #5
winzerz
Recipes 

99 % of the time it is better to just

LEAVE YOUR BEER ALONE

for at least 3 weeks

it is permisible to do the Vulcan mind meld though

Primary:

Other Primary: Hanks Hefe Weizen

Bottled: Scotish Ale 80/-

Old 01-02-2009, 11:08 PM   #6
Tripod
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I typically wait a minimum of 7 days before I disturb the fermenter...and that is only when I am too eager to just ignor it. Usually I don't take a hydro reading until about 14 days or so.

It can be frustrating to leave it all alone, I know. If you are using a white bucket then I recommend switching to either a glass carboy or a better bottle so you can get a clear view inside. It still won't tell you whether the yeasties are done but it will help you satisfy that "itch" to get in there and mess with things.

Give it time, leave it alone, don't take a hydro sample for a while. If you get three hydro readings on different days that are the same then you are most likely done with fermentaion... Until then just wait...

-Tripod

Primary: First AG Batch! - Irish Red | Bottle: Oatmeal Stout| Drinking: Nearcastle II... | Up Next: It may be time to try a lager

5/2012

Old 01-02-2009, 11:39 PM   #7
eddie
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

What are you brewing (recipe) and what temperature are you fermenting at?

Old 01-03-2009, 12:26 AM   #8
Kendo2gz
Recipes 

Default thanks

thanks everyone im sure im over reacting ill give it a week or so. and hey revvy i dont know whats better your advice or your ability to make a guy feel stupid (no offence). ill get it on day then ill be helping a young brewer get through his first batch. once again thanx everyone happy brewing

Old 01-03-2009, 12:30 AM   #9
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2728 Times on 1636 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendo2gz View Post
thanks everyone im sure im over reacting ill give it a week or so. and hey revvy i dont know whats better your advice or your ability to make a guy feel stupid (no offence). ill get it on day then ill be helping a young brewer get through his first batch. once again thanx everyone happy brewing
Well, do you think you are the FIRST Noob who is worried about their beer???Even just today??? It is like this a week after Christmas Every year.

We've seen every version of "n00bitus" there is possible to see...20 or 30 times over...It really never changes...This time next year you'll be doing the same thing...

(an you can even use my cop picture if you want.)

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply