Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > is it ok to ferment in priming container

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2005, 12:31 AM   #1
Redplastic2p3t
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default is it ok to ferment in priming container

just wondering for the secondary fermentation would it be ok to finish in the priming container then bottle it straight from the secondary fermentation, or should i go get another container for the secondary fermentation, and do the priming in another container?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2005, 02:15 PM   #2
Redplastic2p3t
Recipes 

anyone? its getting time to move the wort

Old 01-07-2005, 02:58 PM   #3
bena13
Recipes 

I'm pretty new to all this myself but I believe you should get a 5 gallon Glass Carboy for your secondary fermenter, wait and then prime the beer in the bottling bucket.
At least that's what I've been doing. I transferred my wort out of the primary fermenter on Tuesday into the glass carboy and I'm waiting about ten days and then I'll transfer it again to the bottling bucket where I'll add corn sugar for priming in the bottles. Hope this helps

Old 01-07-2005, 04:05 PM   #4
pilkinga
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

if you want to do secondary fermentation a glass carboy is your best way to go. You could also transfer to bottling bucket for awhile, quickly sanitize your primary fermenter and then transfer back.

Old 01-07-2005, 08:06 PM   #5
DeRoux's Broux

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redplastic2p3t
just wondering for the secondary fermentation would it be ok to finish in the priming container then bottle it straight from the secondary fermentation, or should i go get another container for the secondary fermentation, and do the priming in another container?
you need to get it of the sediment in the bottom of the primary. it will give off flavors. i have always used a glass carboy for secondary fermentation. some people do only single stage fermentation and go straight to the bottle for conditioning after fermentation is complete. be sure you take a gravity reading if you do single stage. you could have busted bottles and a sticky mess!

cheers!

Old 01-07-2005, 08:38 PM   #6
arachnyd

Recipes 

Default you can do it

While it is preferable to use glass for your secondary, plastic will work fine, especially if you do not leave the beer in the secondary very long.

Old 01-08-2005, 03:18 AM   #7
Redplastic2p3t
Recipes 

i appreciate it, ill try and get a glass carboy for that, but cant afford it for now, ill try the one step fermentation for now, then ill choke up and get the glass, thanks for your help!

Quick Reply