Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > OK to drink this?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2010, 05:34 PM   #1
Enpitsu
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default OK to drink this?

sorry, no pictures. but, i'm wondering if anyone has seen this before.

i made a wheat beer with WLP400 - Belgian Wit. let it sit in the primary for 3.5 weeks. when i opened up the primary, there was something strange on top of it! it looked like it possibly could've been bits of krausen. but in my experience (5 batches) i've only ever seen the krausen on the sides of the container...never on the beer.

checked out and it had attenuated an amazing 80%. aroma was fantastic, as was taste. i ended up skimming off as much as i could and bottled.

so my question is - has anyone seen this or something like it? is this beer safe or was that stuff the result of some bad growth? can bacteria in the beer affect the hydrometer reading? perhaps it didn't attenuate fully and it only looks like that. hm.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2010, 05:47 PM   #2
RchanceN
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Smelled good, tasted good, probably nothing. I've had a couple batches that I was almost sure were infected because of weird things on top, but they turned out fine. Always put in explosion-safe container or closet just in case though.

Old 12-06-2010, 06:35 PM   #3
mikebowman
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchanceN View Post
Smelled good, tasted good, probably nothing. I've had a couple batches that I was almost sure were infected because of weird things on top, but they turned out fine. Always put in explosion-safe container or closet just in case though.
seconded. we had an irish red that developed some weird whitish stuff on the top while in the carboy. it tasted alright when we bottled it. we conditioned it for 3+ weeks, and its delicious now! RDWHAHB! (Thats the first time i've ever posted that! woohoo!)

Old 12-06-2010, 06:39 PM   #4
HexKrak
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Rack from under the strange, and above the trub, and put the bottles somewhere they wont damage anything if they do explode from an unwanted infection. RDWHAHB!

Pipe Dreams: Chai Porter
Primary #1: Empty
Primary #2: Empty
Primary #3: Alley Cat Ale IIPA
Bottle Conditioning/Drinking: Black Cat Stout, Cat Haus Ale
Want to know more? Visit my beer blog!

Quick Reply