Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > "Oh, I don't like dark beer"

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2012, 06:22 PM   #31
cheezydemon3
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1639 Times on 1233 Posts
Likes Given: 3007

Considering that "LESS FILLING" was one of the most sought after qualities in a beer not too long ago in the US of A, nothing surprises me.

The "weight watchers" or whatever TF commercial where the guy tells the benefits of counting points, such as:"knowing the difference between a light beer, and a dark beer!" Makes me want to KILL........

Old 09-20-2012, 06:44 PM   #32
Halbrust
Recipes 

Liked 63 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gameface View Post
Well what is it you're calling a "dark" beer? That's a big part of the issue to me. Many people who only drink BMCs think anything darker than a Bud Light is a dark beer. You can get beer pretty dark without using any roasted grains that provide that roasty bitterness. I don't consider a pale ale or an ESB to be a dark beer, but it's a lot darker than a Bud Light and that's enough for a lot of people to call it a dark beer.

It bugs me I think because it implies that all dark beers taste the same, and nothing could be further from the truth.
I believe they were all stouts or porters. True dark beers.
The last one I tried was a home brew. It was horrible! The brewer must have seen it on my face... He took it back and poured me something he knew I liked. He described the flavors lovingly, and I agreed with every thing he said. The difference was he saw the discriptors as positive and I saw them as negative.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2012, 06:44 PM   #33
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Liked 229 Times on 192 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateW View Post
I've heard this quite a bit. I always tell them, "Dark is not a flavor."
Tell that to flava flav.

Old 09-20-2012, 08:30 PM   #34
DonMagee
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halbrust View Post
What's wrong with not liking dark beers?
I'm still extrememly new to drinking beer. But I've had 4 dark beers now and hated each one. The bitterness from the roasted grain was very off-putting.
Will I ever have a dark beer I like? Maybe, but I'm doubting it.
Do you like IPAs? Because if you do try a CDA. Many are just an IPA with coloring added to be 'dark'.

I've had some that had a nice subtle roast, and some that if I closed my eyes I wouldn't know isn't a normal IPA. Also there are sweet stouts and other varieties that have almost no astringency that is associated with 'dark' ales. The point is, just like people, you can't judge a beer by it's color. You judge them by their smell and .............. taste??
Old 09-20-2012, 09:31 PM   #35
cheezydemon3
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1639 Times on 1233 Posts
Likes Given: 3007

I, honestly, feel that you can not be a true beer conniseur and say that you don't like ANY dark beers.

It is like being a luch conniseur but not liking ANY kind of sandwich.

don't like the few you have tried? Noob. Sorry. but nothing more than that.

My first few sips of beer period tasted absolutely revolting.

Still think Guinness is re-gurgitated charcoal milk, but aside from that, Dark is my favorite. Porters are probably my goto, but I love stouts.

Old 09-20-2012, 09:53 PM   #36
watersr
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 24 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halbrust
I believe they were all stouts or porters. True dark beers.
And the poster makes the point of the thread. He says " I don't like dark beer" but means " I don't like stouts and porters". These are not the only dark beers by far and are certainly not the only "true dark beers". There are many beers that look as black as midnight but are light tasting and smooth as glass. When the average BMC drinker says "I don't like dark beers" they are really saying " I accidentally tried a guiness once and didn't like it so I ran back to Bud Light like a little girl running home to momma"

Burn the village, then drink the beer!

Old 09-20-2012, 11:12 PM   #37
jonmohno
Recipes 

Liked 410 Times on 361 Posts
Likes Given: 1192

I didnt like dark beer much didnt hate it either when I very first started really exploring the styles.Years later well,its pretty much the light beers that make me go blacchh- sometimes but not really though . I never disliked Arrogant bastard/Dead guy(dont like this one as much now) which may have been my first good non- light beer/pale lager ever or some local micro brews in the 90's .Guienness was just ok ocassionally then too. In fact now there is way too many better than that dark beer example and that is usually what represents dark beers.
I remember when I could barely tolerate the bitterness of a Sierra Nevada Pale ale.It was a I had to be in the mood for that kind of beer thing,then. Now its not bitter enough,see where Im goin with this?

Porter was a late bloomer and last appreciated for me,and it took alot of trying different ones till I finally realized how good they are and can be.I dont think I was trying the right ones. It makes sense to me now why people dont like dark beers to begin with because guinness is in my opinion not a good example of how good they can be.So they just stop there.

Old 09-20-2012, 11:41 PM   #38
harrymanback92
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I look at it like coffee. I'm a black coffee kinda guy. I love a good double shot espresso, short pull. Lots of people add sugar, milk or both. Some people like their drinks sweeter; I'm a fan of the savory.

Dark beers, the stouts/CDA's/Porters etc have a different bitterness than beers that are bitter due only to hops, IMO. I get why people don't like that, especially if their backgrounds are in Pilsners/light lagers(not hating, I enjoy a well made Pilsner).

Personally I don't give a **** what people drink. Really doesn't matter at all, and why should it?

The perception that dark=alcohol, calories, and intense flavors is just misinformed. Will full ignorance.

I get why people wouldn't like those flavors, lots of people don't like black coffee. To me, it's really the same thing.

Is it annoying? Yeah, it can be.
Should people step out of their comfort zone? Hell yes.
Will they be surprised by what they find of they do? I think so.
Do I get annoyed with it? Hell no.

While they drink their ****ty carbonated piss water I've got gallons of the good stuff all to myself.

Cheers.

Primary:Farmhouse Triple, Simcoe Session IPA, 100% Brett Brux IPA
Conditioning: Willamette English Pale Ale

Subsailor Likes This 
Old 09-20-2012, 11:59 PM   #39
watersr
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 24 Posts

^that

Burn the village, then drink the beer!

Old 09-21-2012, 02:14 AM   #40
ktm250
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

When Yuengling came to Ohio it was funny to see the reaction people had. I buy it as my go to cheap beer these days. Way better than Bud, same price. Buying at a local small supermarket and the cashier is eyeing it all funny.

Him: "What is that?"
Me: "Yuengling lager."
Him:"Its pretty dark. I don't know if I could drink a beer that dark."
Me: "Try it, its really not bad. Whats the worst that could happen?"
Him: "I don't think so. Its probably too thick for me"
Me: :/

What do they think dark beer is? Bottled alcohol gravy?

Quick Reply