Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Oh $HIT poked a hole is my smack pack!!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2011, 12:57 PM   #1
BradleyBrew
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Default Oh $HIT poked a hole is my smack pack!!

Ok so being the genius I am I decided the best way to break the nutrient packet was to place the smack pack on the corner of my counter top even though smacking the pack in the palm of my hand has worked the past 10x I've used liquid yeast. Well, you can see where this story is going. I course I punctured a hole in the pack. Anyways a little of the yeast poured out and I've course I go into SOS mode and begin making a yeast starter immediately... Here are a few problems:

1. the yeast was a most *40 when pitched into the 70ish starter. Problem? or just "stunned" yeast?

2. I wiped the outside of the smack pack within a minute with some starsan and placed the pack in a zip lock bag. Chance of infection high, low, or no way to tell?

3. I plan on brewing tomorrow. I'm not really experienced with starters. What would be some good or bad signs that something bad got to the yeast during the process.

Thanks everyone. I know its only 6 bucks but its just the principle!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2011, 01:19 PM   #2
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1075 Times on 783 Posts
Likes Given: 3977

Next time just put a piece of sanitized tape over the hole. Make sure it's good adhesive tape. Then just let it come to temp and swell just a bit before pitching your starter. Similar thing happened to me, tape worked, yeast was fine.

Brewin' 'n' Que'n - YouTube Shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
can i drink this? I mean. Im gunna. But is it fine?
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
it's not a barley wine. it's an ale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Have you seen the price of ketchup lately? And I'm not talking Heinz.

Old 07-05-2011, 02:01 PM   #3
Zamial
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 168 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradleyBrew View Post
Ok so being the genius I am I decided the best way to break the nutrient packet was to place the smack pack on the corner of my counter top even though smacking the pack in the palm of my hand has worked the past 10x I've used liquid yeast. Well, you can see where this story is going. I course I punctured a hole in the pack. Anyways a little of the yeast poured out and I've course I go into SOS mode and begin making a yeast starter immediately... Here are a few problems:

1. the yeast was a most *40 when pitched into the 70ish starter. Problem? or just "stunned" yeast?

2. I wiped the outside of the smack pack within a minute with some starsan and placed the pack in a zip lock bag. Chance of infection high, low, or no way to tell?

3. I plan on brewing tomorrow. I'm not really experienced with starters. What would be some good or bad signs that something bad got to the yeast during the process.

Thanks everyone. I know its only 6 bucks but its just the principle!!
1. The yeast should be waking up with not much issues. In my experience yeast gets stunned when the temps drop suddenly.

2 + 3. Infection? huh? Yeast itself does not get infected, what it is fermenting can. It is basically a race for what eats the sugar faster. Yeast 99% of the time wins. Search for "How to make a starter." A good idea is when you decant, to taste a little of what you decant. If it is infected you should be able to tell. I will say that every starter I have made to date has been just fine.

check out and RDWHAHB: http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html

Old 07-05-2011, 02:25 PM   #4
BradleyBrew
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 16

thanks for the feedback...

I guess I was worried that the corner might of had some nasties that got punctured into the smack pack. The starter is already showing signs of active fermentation

Quick Reply