New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > OG with yeast pitched

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2009, 01:47 PM   #1
Gristulin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default OG with yeast pitched

I know everyone says check your OG before you pitch your yeast. I'm sure there are really good reasons, but why? The only thing i can think of is that if your gravity ended up a lot higher then you could dilute it if you wanted to. Can it actually effect you gravity reading if you forgot to check until after you pitched? I'm curious cause this happened to me last weekend. I realized i had not taken a gravity reading yet right after i pitched. I took a reading then. It was 1.058. Any way to know if this reading is accurate?
Zac

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2009, 02:00 PM   #2
_Kyle_

Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

The problem that you run into is that when you take a sample to get your reading you'll most likely pull out some of the yeast that you just pitched.

Old 07-29-2009, 04:48 PM   #3
double_e5
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If you remember right away, you are fine. The problem comes when you forget and then don't take a reading for a few hours or the next day. You'll have no idea what your SG was if it has already started fermenting.

Old 07-29-2009, 08:33 PM   #4
phidelt844
Recipes 

I always take a reading after pitching.

I transfer to the primary, pitch the yeast, let it sit ~ 10 mins, shake the bejeezus out of it, and take a reading. By the time it's all shaken up, I can't imagine I'm pulling a crucial amount of yeast out... and I see no reason why it would not be accurate.

Old 07-29-2009, 09:10 PM   #5
double_e5
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by phidelt844 View Post
I always take a reading after pitching.

I transfer to the primary, pitch the yeast, let it sit ~ 10 mins, shake the bejeezus out of it, and take a reading. By the time it's all shaken up, I can't imagine I'm pulling a crucial amount of yeast out... and I see no reason why it would not be accurate.
Exactly why I used the word hours and not 10 minutes.

Old 07-29-2009, 10:58 PM   #6
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 129 Times on 123 Posts

Right, as long as you get the sample within a few hours it will be correct. I pull samples after pitching because that way there is some yeast in the sample and I can watch the gravity drop.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Quick Reply