Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > The Official Disappointment Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2012, 06:31 AM   #1
Boy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 13 Posts

Default The Official Disappointment Thread

Thread for any and all brewing disappointments.

My most recent was a 6 month effort on Whiskey barrel aged imperial stout. Honestly the beer came out incredible, but I'm bummed that it has done poorly in a recent competition. I haven't received the scored yet but this was one I was really hoping would get a ribbon.

Only other issues would be not getting nearly enough time to focus on brewing so far this year. Unless something changes there will be no way I can hit my limit for the year.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2012, 02:02 PM   #2
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1909 Times on 1680 Posts
Likes Given: 1414

Me neither. Darn stove is 3/4ths fubared,bank issues F't me over again. PM kit in fridge/freezer awaiting $100+ for stove parts to brew again. Out of smokes,out of beer,& it's our 35th anniversary today. Damn.
I hope we have enough charcoal & lighter fluid to go with the bit of smokin wood in the garage. Reitrement wages suck with big bills nowadays. Damn banks can't be trusted not to change #'s to get more fines & such. This sucks...

Old 08-27-2012, 02:27 PM   #3
AmandaK
Recipes 

Liked 136 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Haha... you think you did poorly in a competition. I'll raise you this: I had a Belgian Blond that my mom and all her friends loved. I even kind of liked it. I entered it into a competition and the judges told me that it smelled "FECAL". That's right, they told me my beer smelled like sh*t.

Ain't that some sh*t!

Souring: #32 Lambic 2.0, #49 Lambic 3.0, #60 3763 Flanders Brown, #61 WLP665 Flanders Brown
Conditioning: #38 Golden Sour, #58 Hooch Cider, #79 Dopplebock, #84 Amy Cider
Drinkin': #16 Lambic 1.0 (Drunk Monk BOS), #84 Fall Cider
worksnorth Likes This 
Old 08-27-2012, 02:35 PM   #4
rhamilton
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmandaK View Post
I entered it into a competition and the judges told me that it smelled "FECAL". That's right, they told me my beer smelled like sh*t.

Ain't that some sh*t!
Belgian Sh!tWit? Sounds like a Category 23 winner for sure...
Kegged: County Jail Pale Ale, AHS Anniv IPA, AHS Brooklyn Brown, Raspberry Wheat, Blood Orange Hefe, Ranger IPA clone (x2), Newcastle clone, AHS Irish Red, Centennial Blonde
Bottled: Session Series Belgian Saison, Apocalypso, Pecan Porter, DFH 90 Minute Clone, Apfelwein (x2), Wytchmaker Rye IPA Clone, Vienna/Simcoe SMaSH, Munich/Cascade SMaSH

Old 08-27-2012, 02:46 PM   #5
ktblunden
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 250 Times on 159 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmandaK View Post
Haha... you think you did poorly in a competition. I'll raise you this: I had a Belgian Blond that my mom and all her friends loved. I even kind of liked it. I entered it into a competition and the judges told me that it smelled "FECAL". That's right, they told me my beer smelled like sh*t.

Ain't that some sh*t!
Didn't pull any punches there, did they? I entered a comp that was the first Saturday of this month and I still haven't gotten my scoresheets back.

Old 08-27-2012, 02:48 PM   #6
drives_a_bike
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 63

Wow! That's sh*tty AmandaK! (pun totally intended).

I just started brewing this year and so far even batch has turned out damn good, besides my imperial rye IPA, that I brewed with "waaaaay too much honey", so says my buddy that has been brewing for 10+ years...we still drank it all!

My only real disappointment is that I had to go to Montana for work and only get home every 2 weeks or so. Most of the 3 days back, I spend hanging out with my baby boy and wife, (thats not disappointing at all). Lucky for me she loves my new hobby and just asked this morning if I plan on brewing when I come home. Needless to say, my RIS will be brewed next week! So, I'm 400 miles away from home and can't brew as much as I want to...it does; however, give me plenty of time in my hotel room to read as much as possible about brewing and put together and hammer out ideas for recipes of my own...so there's a bright side I guess.

Also, right before I left for Montana, my buddy was starting on plans for a macro-brewery/pub and asked if I would like to be part of it. He and another friend have been brewing for ages, and I'd love to, but it looks like I may be moving to Montana come march . If anything, It seems like I'd just be a backer for the time being. I guess we'll see what the future brings.

On deck: Rye Saison
Primary: Oaked Rye Porter
Secondary: Cow Catcher in the Rye (RyePA)
Secondary: Pinneywick Pale Ale (Honey Basil Double Pale)
Secondary: Xanadu Barleywine 2013

Old 08-27-2012, 02:55 PM   #7
stjackson
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 3

My only real brewing disappointment so far was a blonde ale I brewed recently. It tasted great in the fermenter, but since bottling, it has tasted horrible. It is very slowly getting a little better, but after almost 6 weeks in the bottle, I'm about ready to dump it. It's only a 5% beer...no way it should be this bad after 6 weeks in the bottle. It should have fully carbonated and been drinkable in 3 weeks. Super bummed. I hate to waste money, and if I dump this batch, it'll just be $30 wasted.

Old 08-27-2012, 03:01 PM   #8
rexbanner
Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 91

Don't worry about comps as long as you score 30 or over. I entered my dubbel in one comp and scored a 31. The next one (same exact batch) it scored a 45 and won. Just keep entering and it will win.

Peep my nanobrewery: http://crookedrunbrewing.com

Crooked Run Brewing: Traditional ales, local ingredients

Old 08-27-2012, 03:17 PM   #9
RBelanger
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

A few batches back, I was draining off a 10G batch into 2 carboys from my boil kettle. I poured quite a bit more wort in one than the other so when I went to even them out, I picked up the full one by its handle and started pouring. The damn things slipped out of my other hand and swung into the 2nd carboy......................Worst brew day ever!!!

And for the record...it wasn't a SMaSH brew

Old 08-27-2012, 03:41 PM   #10
JohanMk1
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 517

After putting a pile of effort into an extract Bavarian Wheat beer I don't like it. To me it tastes sour, so I went out and tried a few local craft breweries versions and I seem to have got the beer pretty much to style. It just doesn't tickle my taste buds. 6 gallons of beer I don't like.

Quick Reply