Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Off Taste Question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2008, 02:07 PM   #1
kjung
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default Off Taste Question

I am a relative new brewer, about to start batch #7, which will be my first partial mash, and I have noticed a subtle, almost iodine-like off taste in the last couple of batches, especially in a Red Ale, which was batch # 3. Any one have an idea what that may be ? Better yet, how I can avoid it in the future ?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2008, 02:28 PM   #2
brewt00l
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I don't know what iodine tastes like to help you out.

How to Brew covers some common off-flavors and their sources:

http://www.howtobrew.com/section4/chapter21-2.html

What's your sanitization like? Are you leaving behind some excess sanitizer that could be contributing to the taste?

Old 04-07-2008, 03:42 PM   #3
kjung
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewt00l
I don't know what iodine tastes like to help you out.

How to Brew covers some common off-flavors and their sources:

http://www.howtobrew.com/section4/chapter21-2.html

What's your sanitization like? Are you leaving behind some excess sanitizer that could be contributing to the taste?

I would have to assume that it tastes like it smells. the first time that I noticed it, I used the iodine sanitizing solution, and had my kids (teens) wash the bottles. I assumed that they just didn't rinse properly, but I have been using bleach ever sinse, and still notice a faint off taste.

Old 04-07-2008, 03:51 PM   #4
RICLARK

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjung
I would have to assume that it tastes like it smells. the first time that I noticed it, I used the iodine sanitizing solution, and had my kids (teens) wash the bottles. I assumed that they just didn't rinse properly, but I have been using bleach ever sinse, and still notice a faint off taste.
I use Idophor it is supposed to be no rinse I have nver had any off flavors, I cant see it being that. Does it taste like the vinyl tubing you transfer in?

Kegged/Bottled: Boston Lager Clone, Crimson Ale, Guiness Draught Clone, Kilt Warmer Scotch Ale, BBB Blonde Ale, Oberon Clone Pt. 1,000

Do I Look Like A Man.....With A Plan??

Local Home Brew Store

www.theredsalamander.com

Old 04-07-2008, 03:54 PM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2711 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICLARK
I use Idophor it is supposed to be no rinse I have nver had any off flavors, I cant see it being that. Does it taste like the vinyl tubing you transfer in?
I uses Iodophor as well and don't get any flavors either...What dillution are you using Kjung? The recomended is 1 tbs/5 gallons of water. If you used a different dillution, you COULD possibly be getting some flavors from it...That is if you are using Iodophor....

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 04-08-2008, 01:36 AM   #6
BeerSmith
BeerSmith Author, Brewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts

I don't know if this will help, but here's another link on troubleshooting off flavors.

Iodophor should not be the cause - I use it all the time. As long as you use the recommended amount you should be fine.

Cheers!
Brad

Old 04-08-2008, 12:18 PM   #7
kjung
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

I only used Iodophor a couple of times, and have been using bleach ever since. I'm starting to think that I may have to change the tubing that I've been using.

The only other person to notice this off taste is my g/f. and that was only after I pointed it out, so maybe I am either too anal about my tastes (nahh...not possible), or just crazy(not the first time THAT accusation has been made !)

Old 04-08-2008, 06:41 PM   #8
bigben
Recipes 

If you have been using bleach on your last few batches I think that would've gotten rid of any excess iodophor, so either you are a imaging the flavor or it's coming from something other than the old iodophor.

Quick Reply