New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Odell's Nitro IPA

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2010, 11:22 PM   #1
jmkratt
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Odell's Nitro IPA

Stopped by the brewery as I was up in Northern Colorado for work. Had a chance to sample a pint of the Nitro IPA, which is Odell's normal delicious IPA, served Nitro-style. I must say it was delicious, very creamy mouth feel. The only Nitros I have had previously were stouts and porters so this was a new concept for me. It has inspired me to get a nitrogen system in the keezer!

Anyhow, I highly recommend it if you're in the area. I know it's a pilot brew so i don't know how long it will be on tap. Good stuff.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2010, 11:27 PM   #2
King of Cascade
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Our club tried this with an IPA. One on nitro and the other on co2. Everyone agreed the hop flavor and aroma in the nitro beer was much less then the co2 beer. How was the hop flavor in that beer?

Old 04-13-2010, 11:52 PM   #3
jmkratt
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Cascade View Post
Our club tried this with an IPA. One on nitro and the other on co2. Everyone agreed the hop flavor and aroma in the nitro beer was much less then the co2 beer. How was the hop flavor in that beer?
Well I did not do a side by side comparison as I had to drive home, though I would agree the aroma and flavor was different. Less hoppy flavor.

I did truly enjoy the mouth feel with the Nitro in an IPA though. I wonder if there is a way to boost the hoppy flavor when kegging. Do you suppose a hopback or similar apparatus between the keg and tap would help? Is that even possible?

Old 04-14-2010, 09:39 PM   #4
King of Cascade
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I’m sure more finishing hops and/or a hop back would help to get more hop aroma but the degassing process associated with the nitro beers is still going to blow the aroma off. It just seems counter productive to increase hop aroma then lose it when pouring.

Old 04-14-2010, 09:45 PM   #5
jmkratt
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Cascade View Post
I’m sure more finishing hops and/or a hop back would help to get more hop aroma but the degassing process associated with the nitro beers is still going to blow the aroma off. It just seems counter productive to increase hop aroma then lose it when pouring.
Yeah I follow you. Too bad, it would be really nice to match the mouthfeel of Nitro with the aroma and flavor of IPA.

I still really enjoyed the Nitro IPA though. It was different, at least for me.

Old 04-14-2010, 09:59 PM   #6
forcera
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Stuff like this is why I hate it that my sister goes to CSU...

Listening to a person that brews their own beer is like listening to a religious fanatic talk about the day he saw the light
- Ross Murray

In Alabama there is no beer, thats why we brew it here
-Kim & SunAe Thomson, owners of Alabrew Homebrewing Supplies, Birmingham's one and only homebrewing store

Alvin Holmes, Alabama House of Representatives, on Beer

Old 04-15-2010, 02:40 AM   #7
jmkratt
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by forcera View Post
Stuff like this is why I hate it that my sister goes to CSU...
Your sister is a smart lady

Fort Collins is a beer lover's college paradise, in my humble and biased opinion.

Old 04-15-2010, 02:51 AM   #8
WhiskeySix

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Both my son's live in Ft Collins. One worked at O'Dell's for a long time. Really cool brewery. Awesome tap room. Ft Collins Brewery is currently under construction right down the street from O'Dell's.

Semper Fi
Mark

Old 04-15-2010, 03:49 AM   #9
android
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 3

o'dells is great, i haven't lived in ft. collins for like 10 years, but i always liked their beers the best in that town. ft. collins brewery, which used to be h.c. berger has always had some nice beers, that rocky mt. IPA is tasty. are they expanding? it seems like they distribute well (meaning they actually come to iowa), so i wouldn't be surprised.

ebay temp controller | thermostat temp controller

Old 04-15-2010, 01:17 PM   #10
jmkratt
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by android View Post
o'dells is great, i haven't lived in ft. collins for like 10 years, but i always liked their beers the best in that town. ft. collins brewery, which used to be h.c. berger has always had some nice beers, that rocky mt. IPA is tasty. are they expanding? it seems like they distribute well (meaning they actually come to iowa), so i wouldn't be surprised.
I remember HC Berger an their Snowman Ale for the holidays! We used to to the "tasting" tour there which consisted of the guys working there giving us a glass and sitting on the picnic bench out front with us drinking pint after pint. Shame they shut their doors

I would agree that Fort Collins Brewery is really taking off, their facility is really quite large now. I didn't stop inside and haven't for a couple years but it certainly appears as though they are doing well. Good for them!

New Belgium, Odells, and Fort Collins Breweries

Quick Reply